I trust him - Hori Pure Imagination

"I don't trust easily. So when I tell you that 'I trust you', please don't make me regret it." - Curiano

"No! I need to practice - Newton-!"  

Gale protested the entire way as she was dragged into the carriage by Newton's firm grip.  

"To Odal beach, please," Newton ignored Gale's complaints as he signed the coachman to go. 

Gale sat reluctantly in the coach with her arms crossed. Newton, sitting in front of her, smiled back.

"Come on, Gale. I could even hear it from the music that you don't know much about the sea," Newton laughed. 

"...I have been to ports!" 

"Full of trash and people and boats? I bet you have never swum or played in the waves though," Newton scoffed. 

Gale glared at Newton. He was right though. Gale's encounter with the seaside was always a part of her family business, not for relaxation. 

"This is for your inspiration, Gale. I'm helping you."

"I don't need your help," Gale muttered, still scornful. 

However, as the coach started to roll, the soothing rhythm of the wheels made Gale realize how tired she was. Gale yawned sleepily.

"It's going to take at least two hours. Get some sleep," Newton said. 

With that, Gale was gone in a second. She leaned against the window, fast asleep. 

Newton took out a music book and began to read, occasionally looking up to check if Gale was still sleeping. He slowly turned the pages, careful not to wake her up. 

Meanwhile, the carriage took them further away from Meldovern.

***

"Gale, wake up," Newton gently shook Gale. 

"Huh?" Gale woke up sleepily as the coach jolted to the stop. Her eyes went wide when she looked out the window. 

This was the most beautiful scenery he has ever seen in his life: a white sandy beach with blue emerald waves and rocky cliffs from the distance. Few couples and families were lying on the beach, enjoying orange drinks. 

"Wow, this is the Odal beach?" Gale gasped. 

"Nice, right?" Newton took Gale's hand and helped her get off the carriage. 

The sun was shining brilliantly, generating thousands of sparkles as waves crashed into the shore. 

"It feels better barefoot," Newton crouched down and gently took out Gale's shoes. 

Gale carefully stepped into the powder sand. 

"It's so soft...!" Gale exclaimed as she dug her toes into the warm sand. The salty breeze blew in her hair. 

Gale's awe turned into a surprise as Newton playfully hugged Gale from behind and picked her up in her arms. 

"I'm going to throw you into the waves," Newton laughed as he dragged Gale to the sea. 

"No! I can't swim-!"Gale tried to squirm her way out of Newton's grip, laughing along. 

They wrestled for a while, giggling as they tried to throw each other into the waves first. Eventually, Gale tripped and splashed into shallow tides. Newton followed her into the water. The water was not too cold, just right for swimming. 

Gale stood up with her ankles deep in water, watching Newton swim. It was a nice feeling - the constant rhythm of the ocean in her toes. Creamy sand massaged her feet when the waves rolled over. The waves crashing into the rocky cliffs sounded like music to her ears. 

"So, what do you think?" Newton asked as he swam back to Gale, shaking the water out of his ears. 

"This is beautiful," Gale whispered, gazing at the shimmering horizon. 

"This is Debussy," Newton replied, kissing Gale lightly on the forehead. 

***

They spent the rest of the afternoon playing on the beach. Sandcastles were built and then kicked, drawings were made on the shore and then erased. Eventually, Gale and Newton sat quietly as the sun began to set on the horizon. The seaside was transforming into a crimson watercolor palette. 

"How do you know about this place?" Gale asked. 

"I used to come here regularly," Newton replied, throwing a pebble to the water. 

"Why?" 

"I once heard this is where they cremated my mother," Newton turned to face Gale, smiling to show that he is alright talking about it. 

"I don't remember her so I never really missed her. But you know, sometimes, when you're living your life, you sometimes wish you have someone...that's always watching out for you...and I came here when I needed those." 

Gale rested her face on Newton's shoulder. 

"I'm sure she is still watching over you. Mothers are like that," Gale said softly. 

Newton closed his eyes, nodding silently. 

When they first met, Newton was hesitant about sharing his past with Gale. Whenever people learned about him, they would look at Newton pitifully or avoid him, as if the mere presence of Newton will bring bad luck to them. He thought he would never be fully understood by anyone let alone an aristocrat.

But Gale embraced Newton's scars without judgment. She took his darkest traumas as if they were her own. And this was how Newton knew he will be safe with Gale. 

The sun submerged into the water, leaving a red trail on the rippling waves. 

"It's too late to go back to Meldovern now. The front gate would be closed," Newton glanced at Gale sitting next to him. 

"Do you mind staying here for the night?" Newton asked. 

"We don't really have a choice, do we?" 

Newton couldn't tell if Gale was blushing or if it was the sunset that made Gale's cheek red. Gale was so beautiful - her pale skin glowed ever so delicately in the setting sun. Newton's heart beat faster as they walked to the closest inn from the beach. Luckily, there was one bedroom available on the top floor. 

"This is cozy," Gale nodded when they entered a small room with a queen bed. The room was dimly lit, with only one lamp by the bedside. 

Gale took off his wet clothes shyly. Even from the faint light, Newton could trace the dark silhouette of Gale's bare body, the person he trusted with all his heart. Gale ran to the bed to take cover, embarrassed. 

"Sorry, it was getting kind of cold," Gale said hurriedly, tightly hugging the white sheet like burrowing into a pile of snow.

Newton walked up to the bed and threw himself onto a white lump of Gale. 

"Newton-!" Gale exclaimed as Newton's face stopped only an inch away from hers, leaning in to taste the salty remnant of the ocean on Gale's lips. 

"Now I'm really curious about how you're going to play La Mer," Newton chuckled quietly.

And the darkness enveloped them until the morning rose.