Few Luxuries

Asma

I wake up with the strangest sensation. My head is pounding and it hurts, bad. I've heard of people getting headaches and I never want one again.

"It seems we were right about your power," some random woman beams at me.

My power? What the hell is she talking about?

I wait for Sienna to answer, but she's not here. It's not like the other times when she's sleeping, but she's gone for good. The missing presence of the woman sparks mixed feelings within me, but mainly I'm pissed. I finally got rid of her and now I'm strapped against a table with a creepy scientist over me.

"Who the fuck are you?" I ask, stretching out as much as possible. I can break free from these straps, but I don't need to expose my strength yet.

"What do you mean who am I? Does your rebirth result in amnesia?" The woman frowns confused.

I'm confused too. Rebirth?

"Her eyes are gold, General Ryan. I believe we're in the presence of Soldier Asma," some other, much younger woman says.

This seem to surprise General Ryan and her frown becomes a smile once again. "Delightful. It seems her Soldier side has her own conscious. Do you take over when Sienna is incapacitated?"

"What'd you do to Sienna?" I demand. I don't know if this woman is a threat and I don't know if it's in my best interest to tell our secrets, or to shut the hell up.

"I suppose I'll have to explain myself once again." She clears her throat and it's obvious she's unhappy with me being clueless.

"You don't have to explain anything. If you let me go, then you can save your breath." I smile, though it's obviously fake, and tug on the restraints to show her what I'm referring too.

"I'm sorry, but we can't let you go. However, if you cooperate with us, we won't hurt you... or Sienna," she adds in the end.

I really need to stop catching darts.

"Listen, I'm sure you think you're doing something good, or maybe you're crazy as hell and don't give a damn whose life you fuck over. I don't give a damn. You won't fuck us over and you can spout your greater good bullshit to someone else." I tilt my head to the side and wait for her response.

General Ryan is seething, on the inside. She so obviously wants to hurt me, but she knows she can't. None of these people in the room could hurt me. So General Ryan settles with maintaining her pleasant facade and a tight smile on her face.

"Are you hungry?" A man asks from the walls. It had been quiet for some time. His voice bounces off the walls as they wait for my answer.

Of course I'm not hungry. No Soldier ever is. But I don't know if this is simple a kind man being courteous and offering food, or if it's an assessment to see if I'm an unique Soldier who needs to eat unlike every other Soldier.

"How would you like for me to answer that?" I ask him. He steps out from the shadows, letting the light illuminate his dark, chocolate brown skin.

"However you'd like." He folds his arms, letting the muscles bulge. It might be a scare tactic, or an instinct.

"I'm a picky eater," I tell him.

He chuckles and walks closer to me. He has the straightest teeth I've ever seen, the bottom four a shiny gold that flashes at me. "I'm sure we can find something for you."