Getting Old

Sienna

"Is there anything else you want to know?" General Ryan asks with a bright smile. She's been smiling ever since she revealed who she is. I hate to admit it, but it's unnerving. I wish I could trust people just a little bit more.

"My... father?" I hesitate.

"Oh, yes. That would be Leader Hill. Not the sharpest tool in the box, nor the greatest looker, but we did make one fine young lady," she grins, ruffling my blonde hair.

"Where is he?" I continue, not wanting to address how much of a messy young lady I am right now.

She hums, "I'm not entirely sure. I believe in a facility like mine holding his Soldiers. I'm sure he's looking for you too. I-"

"Why would he be looking for me?" I cut her off.

"It has to do with you being a Key. You have special power and he wants that. I'll keep you safe of course," she assures, petting my head.

I scoff, wishing I could believe that. "I've been here for a few days and I've died already. What do you need me for?"

Her hand stills and she frowns. "Your main purpose is for us to finally be a family. Why can't you accept that?"

"Maybe because life isn't, and never will be, that easy," I say pessimistically.

"I do have to admit one thing, though," she starts, "I would like for some of my Soldiers to study you."

"Nope," I immediately respond, shaking my head and pulling away from her.

"It's not experimenting or anything. And besides, I think it'll help you," she adds.

"Help me how exactly," I ask hesitantly.

"Why is your hair turning blonde? And why are both of your eyes gold like a Soldier and yet you're you?" She questions back instead of answering me.

I decide to use her tactic. "Why do you think?"

"Is your Soldier side trying to take over you?"

"Is it?"

"It is," she concludes.

"It is," I admit sadly.

"We can help with that. I'm not sure how yet, but with a couple of harmless tests, we can stop Asma while she's ahead," she smiles.

That sounds wonderful. A world with Asma physically and mentally gone, would be heaven. A life that is free for me to live, making terrible choices because I want to and not because some other being is making me, would be amazing. But that would mean I'd have to trust my mother, and I'm not capable of trusting anyone right now.

"I'm sure you're still hesitant," she assumes correctly. "But why don't you explore this place, meet some of my Soldiers, and relax awhile?" She comes close to me and frames my face. "Maybe we can get to know each other as mother and daughter?"

I'm not entirely sure I have time to relax. How do I know that the moment I do, Asma won't take over? No, in this new place, with no one having my back, and the threat of Asma looming over me, now is the best them for me to be on guard.

"Okay," I nod, taking her hands off my face. "We can do that."

"Great," she smiles. "And we can get started on that right away," she pauses and her eyes go to the door.

I turn around, wondering what she was looking at, then jump back when I hear the cock of a gun.

"Just as soon as I have a little talk with Asma," she finishes, shooting.

Asma

"This rebirth shit is getting old real fast," I complain, rubbing my head. 

General Ryan stares at me with delighted eyes. "Yet it is fascinating."

"You're one weird bitch," I insult with a sweet smile. Her smile turns into a frown quickly and I laugh loudly. 

"Anyhow," she begins. "Sienna is a problem for you yes?" 

"You could say that," I mutter. 

She nods her head and her smile comes back. "She's quite the problem for me too. I can help you get rid of her if you comply with me for the time being."

I'm not stupid. I know she probably spouted the same bullshit to Sienna. But that puts me at the advantage. "Okay," I agree, "What do you want me to do?"

"We're gonna have a little dinner with Sienna's father and her men. They'll think Sienna is gone for good and it'll get them off our heads." 

"Or make them wanna shoot mine," I mumble.

*

"What's this for?" I question, shaking the bright gold bracelet. We're sitting in the car in front of some fancy restaurant. Apparently, General Ryan needs Leader Hill to get off her back, so we're going to act like Sienna is dead. Without Sienna, there's no reason for them to pursue us.

"Just in case you get any ideas," she says, giving me a fake smile.

I roll my eyes, "If I wanted to run away, I would've done it by now." I let out a scoff. "You say you can get the bitch out and I need her out. Her death has been long overdue."

She nods and we open the car doors. I look over at the car with Sienna's men in it, and I look each of them in the eye. I have to keep an evil laugh to myself. They all look pitiful. Like that one simple action I made wrecked all of them. They look nothing like that group of strong men that had first found Sienna.

A smile comes across my face as seeing them so destroyed.

"Come, now," General Ryan ushers.

I look away from them and follow her into the restaurant.

"Let's get this show on the road," I sigh.