thanks toots! | n.h.

"Great! Your hired!" Tom Harper, your new boss said.

You applied to Tom's Gets Sporty store, you needed to raise money for the theatre program at your school. Since, the store was close to your house and they needed more employees you applied to the job.

You knew Dawn. When you told her you needed a job, she was immediately excited to tell you about her parents store. Putting a good word for you and introducing you to her dad. Getting you the job.

Working behind the counter, giving people their drinks, and cleaning up spills. It wasn't so hard. You actually enjoyed it. Maybe you might even continue working here, after you raise money for the theater program.

As you brought some girls their drinks, you wiped down the counter. You spotted Dawn from one of the booth. She seemed to be talking to her friends. You guessed that it must have been her brothers standing next to her.

Dawn and her two brothers were talking rather aggressively to their friends. Until the dark haired guy snapped his fingers saying, "Oh, waitress!"

Mrs. Harper came in with a tray of root beer floats. Setting them on the table in front of their friends. She leaned down to whisper something in his ear. "Snap at me again, and I'll make sure you will never snap again."

The boy's expression turned to dread. As he let out a nervous laugh, "Thanks mom!"

You smile at the boys adorableness. You went back to work, cleaning the counter. Hearing a clap, "Waitress! Take away these root beer floats!"

You were going to ignore it but, Mrs. Harper tapped you on the shoulder.

"Sorry to bother you, (Y/N). But could you do me a favor and pick up those root beer floats. Also tell my son, Nicky that if he claps at me again, he will never clap again." She gave you a sweet smile.

"Sure thing, Mrs. Harper." You replied. Making your way to the booth where the boy, Nicky called you to.

You grabbed the tray. Nicky who wasn't facing you at the time spoke up, "Mom-" He paused when he looked at you. His eyes widening as he realized he called you 'mom.'

"Uhh, um..." At a loss of words, Dawn pipped in. Rolling her eyes at Nicky's awkwardness.

"Hey (Y/N)!" Dawn said, tilting her head as she peaked from behind Nicky.

You gave her a smile, "Hey!" Turning your smile to the rest of the kids. They all gave you waves and "hi's."

"Oh, uhm Nicky?" You turned to the boy, who was still frozen in embarrassment. "Your mom said that if you snap at her again, she'll make sure you will never snap again."

He replied with a small 'uh huh', eyes still wide in shock.

Reaching for the tray, you gave him a sympathy look. "I'm just gonna take these away."

As you walked away, Nicky broke from his shock. Yelling, "Thanks toots!"

You looked back at them, giving Nicky a confused expression. Soon, you walked back to the counter. Planting the tray on the table, as you took the order of a couple boys.

You've been working for 30 minutes or so, until Nicky sat near the counter.

He gave you a nervous smile, "Hey (Y/N), about the 'toots' thing. I didn't mean to-"

"Don't sweat it, Nicky. It's fine. Anything for dramatic flair," you put up your best jazz hands, flashing him a smile. "Am I right?" You lightly hit him on the shoulder, laughing.

He laughed with you for a bit. "Yeah." Nicky leaned against the counter a little more, giving you a small boyish grin. "Does that mean I can all you 'toots' then?"

You snort, "Sure, Nicky. I'll even throw in something for free."

Quirking an eyebrow, he questioned, "What is it? I mean, hate to break it to you, toots. But I kinda already have a free drink pass, my parents kinda own the store-"

"Not free drinks, you dork. My number is what I meant." Rolling your eyes, you pull out your notepad and pen from your pocket.

Nicky let out an, "Oh."

"Yeah, 'oh.' But since, you don't seem to excited about it, I may just take it back," you acted out. Dramatically sighing and giving him sad puppy eyes.

"No!" Nicky yelled out. Causing a few people to look in his direction. Clearing his throat he began again, "Uhm, what I meant to say was. I would love to have your number."

"Well lucky for you. Since, I would love for you to have my number," you grinned at him as he took the piece of paper from your hand.

Nicky jumped off from the chair. "So, toots-" His arms slipped on the counter. Getting up quickly, he coughed. "That-, that counter is, really- uhm-, really cleaned." He finished his sentence with some awkward finger guns.

You let out a laugh, "Yeah, it should be. You saw me clean it."

"Right. Right. Anyways! Hope I see you around!" Throwing you finger guns again, as he walked away.

You yelled back at him as he left. "Well, I hope so! I work here!"

Nicky's laughter was heard throughout the store. Huffing, you smile as you clean the countertop.

Maybe you might keep working this job a little longer than you thought.