snowy night | a.g.

You were cuddled up by the fire. A Christmas movie playing in the background, as the snow outside fell. 

The blankets and pillows were all scattered around you. Pulling up the yarn woven blanket higher upon your body. Sinking into the couch, as you drank your hot chocolate.

The Christmas movie barely catching any of your attention. You were too focused on the thoughts running through your head.

It was the night before Christmas Eve and Aidan wasn't there to come celebrate with you. He was stuck in Toronto, shooting for Umbrella Academy's season 8.

You were happy that the show got another season, but it meant that you couldn't spent Christmas with Aidan.

The snow was too thick to drive through, the roads being blocked off by the ice. A flight would be way too expensive and crowded to fly all the way back.

The two of you planned to Facetime, the whole day on Christmas and Christmas Eve.

But, you still wanted him here. Instead of through a stupid screen.

He apologized countless of times. Saying, "I'll make it up to you when I get back. As soon as I can catch a flight, you'll be the first person I visit. Promise."

It was sweet of him to say that. You knew he'd keep the promise, just that there was a nagging feeling you had.

You didn't want to seem selfish. You knew he'd catch a flight to you, if he could. The feeling of wanting him here still. Even if it was impossible.

Christmas wouldn't be the same without him.

Friends would be busy with their families on Christmas. Your family was a 10 hour drive away. You would have drove there earlier, but the roads were too icy to drive on.

You also thought you'd be spending Christmas with Aidan.

The ring of your phone, captured your attention. Checking the contact and picture, you saw it was Aidan calling you.

Picking up quickly, you answered with a, "Hey, Aidan!"

On the other line, there was shouting and shuffling. Until Aidan's voice was heard through the speakers of your phone. "Hey."

He sounded busy. The background sounds being too loud, that you could barely hear him. You decided not to comment on it. You just appreciated that he called you, despite needing to shoot scenes.

"So, why'd you call? Thought you'd still be doing scenes," you say.

Aidan's line was cut off bit, but you heard a part of it. "We finished shooting. They decided to give us a early break. You know, it being Christmas and all."

You lower the volume of the movie. Putting your phone on speaker, "How was it?"

"It was kind of amazing. So, there was this one scene with Robert and he had to be strapped in a vest." As Aidan goes on to talk about the scenes and what happened. You drown everything out, only to listen to him.

The connection was poor, but you still managed to hear the sound of his voice. You only wished you could actually hear it in real life.

"Listen, babe, I've got to go. But, tomorrow, a box will arrive at our apartment door. It's your Christmas gift. I thought that maybe even if I wasn't there to give it to you, you'd still want it." Aidan catches your attention back to what he was talking about.

You feel yourself smile, face heating up. "Aww, thanks Aidan. What time's the box supposed to be here?"

"Around 8-ish. But, trust me, it's worth it! I've been planning this gift since forever!"