your local mafia | f.h.

what if reginald hargreeves wasn't interested in saving the world, when he adopted 7 super-powered children. what if he used them to create a side business of his own? what if once he died that business passed down to his adopted children? 

+++
You were friends with Dean Holmes. His job was at a local police department as a detective.

Whenever, he would be swamped with work, Dean would tell you about certain aspects of the case. Wanting your input, seeing as you're the forensic scientist.

He needed an outside view. Think of it as thinking outside of the box.

Dean was focusing on a very important case. One that involved 7 members of the organization. 6 now, that Dean found out one of the members had died. The cause was unknown.

The case was the hardest yet. His hits all leading to a dead end. A wild goose chase of some sort.

He found out the basics though. They called themselves the Umbrella Academy. Why? He didn't know. How he found out? They left little signs. Small umbrellas, cameras would only catch glimpses. That shot only being the inside of their wrists.

Numbers along with umbrellas. 1,2,3,4,5, and 7.

Since, Dean knew this information. He told it to you. Giving him your input and him greatly appreciating it. He probably shouldn't, but it wasn't going to hurt anyone. Right?

Wrong.

Five knew. He was watching all along. How else would he protect his family and their side business. Needed to cut out the lousy detective.

All he needed to get to the detective was you.

***
It's funny, that all Five needed was a fake resume and glasses to get a job at the police department. Okay, maybe the glasses weren't needed but he did look good in them.

Easily going into the department as an intern. Making coffee and running around the precinct was tiring, but it would all pay off in the end.

Playing off as innocent, he bumped into you. His files flying everywhere. "S-shit. I am so sorry. I didn't mean to!"

You smile, waving him off. "Nah, it's fine. Intern jitters?"

Five nods bashfully. Avoiding eye contact and rubbing the back of his neck.

"Happens to the best of us," you begin to help him clean up the papers.

Afterwards, he introduces himself to you. "Thanks. I'm Five, by the way."

Sending him a teasing grin, you ask, "Five? Isn't that a-"

"Weird name?"

You nod.

"I get that a lot. But, hey, my dad just loved the number five, I guess," he said.

"Well, nice to meet you, Five. (Y/N)." You put your hand out for him to shake.

Five shakes your hand. Looking down at the ground, "This might sound weird. But, I was wondering, if you wanted to have lunch with me? An apology for bumping into you. I-it's fine, if you don't." He trails off quietly.

What a cutie. "Yeah! I'll find you during my break." You wave him goodbye. Turning away to go back to your lab.

God, maybe this would be a lot easier than Five originally thought. It seemed that you were as friendly as ever. It wouldn't be hard for you to spill everything Dean's told you about the case.

Five just had to head at the same track. Getting closer to you more. A day at a time.

***
The mansion was silent.