Chapter Three - Rabbit

Chapter Three

The first time Hope saw Josie Saltzman, she was intrigued. She watched as the girl smiled at everyone she walked past and she noticed how she said Hello to everyone. Well... Everyone except her. Hope didn't mind, she didn't like the attention. She just liked to watch people from afar. 

 "That's my sister Josie" Lizzie says as she looks at where Hope is looking, They are still on their tour of the school. Lizzie looks down at Hope's arm because something catches her eye, a little bunny rabbit waving. Lizzie looks away quickly, wishing she hadn't seen it. 

"She's so nice to everyone" Hope says slowly, not noticing Lizzie's interest in the drawing on her arm. Lizzie nods.

"Yeah, my sister is very like that... she cares about other peoples happiness more than she cares about her own" Lizzie says before looking back at Hope's arm. "Hey, did you draw that?" Lizzie asks, curiously. She points at Hope's arm. Hope looks down at the rabbit on her arm and nods. 

"Yeah... have you seen it before or something?" Hope asks.

"No... why would I have?" Lizzie lies. She looks away from Hope when she says this. "I just thought it looked really good, do you do art or something?" 

"Do I do art?" Hope asks with a laugh. "What type of question is that?" Hope asks, clearly messing with Lizzie. Because Lizzie's ego is so big, she finds herself glaring at the tribrid. Hope frowns when she sees the glare. "Calm down, I'm just messing with you Lizzie" Hope says with a soft smile, trying to defuse the conversation. "I paint quite a lot, my dad loves it as well... I sometimes draw on my arm when I'm bored" She states. 

"Fair enough" Lizzie mutters before walking away, expecting Hope to follow her. Hope let's out a sigh before trailing behind the blonde Saltzman twin. 

Lizzie thinks back to that morning, right before she had met Hope. She remembered the drawing on Josie's arm... She knew who had imprinted on Josie but she couldn't tell her sister. Not when it was Hope Mikaelson, someone that could bring her so much danger. So Lizzie chose to forget she ever saw the drawing on Hope's arm. She chose to act like she hated Hope so her sister would stay away. And Josie did. 

*

"Where were you?" Lizzie asks, when Josie creeps back into her room in the middle of the night. Josie is startled when she hears her sisters voice because Lizzie is a heavy sleeper which means she's hard to wake up in the middle of the night. 

"I couldn't sleep" Josie admits. "I had another one of those dreams so I went to go get a glass of milk and ended up talking to Hope for a bit" 

"Hope as in Hope Mikaelson, why were you talking to her?" Lizzie asks with a scoff. Josie shrugs and gets back into her bed. 

"She's not that bad, once you get to know her" She says before laying down and resting her head on the pillow. Lizzie sits up and turns her lamp on. "What Lizzie?" Josie groans. 

"What did you talk about?" She asks. 

"I can't tell you" Josie says, not sitting up. "It was something personal she told me and I told her I wouldn't tell anyone okay so turn the light off so I can go to sleep" Josie mutters before turning to face away from Lizzie. 

"Oh come on Josie" Lizzie says. Josie sits up and looks at her sister. 

"Why do you hate her anyway? You have never given me a specific reason... You just say mean things about her and you expect me to go along with it. You know I'm not that type of person" Josie says. "So why don't you like her?" 

"It's complicated" Lizzie says before looking down. "Just don't worry about it, you can talk to Hope if you want" she mutters before turning off the light. She was afraid if the conversation continued any longer she would end up blurting out the truth and Josie would never forgive her. She begins to not regret not telling Josie as soon as she realized and now it's too late. She can't tell her sister at all. Josie would soon figure it out anyway. 

*

The next morning Josie saw a marking on her arm of a bird, Josie couldn't help but smile. Most mornings there would be something new drawn on her arm but it would disappear before she left her bedroom. Sometimes Josie wished that they were permanent, because they were all incredibly beautiful. Before Josie left her room she drew a heart on her palm but it seemed to disappear with in five minutes. This meant that her soulmate had washed it off of their skin. Josie sighed and walked out of her room to get to her first class. She sees hope sitting at the back of the classroom and she decides to sit next to her. Hope looks over at Josie and smiles.

"Don't hate me yet?" She asks.

"Not at all" Josie says, grinning. In fact the night before when they spoke made Josie even more interested in Hope. Josie had spoken to every person in this school except for Hope and this made her so much more interesting. 

"Well your sister sure does" Hope says nodding her head towards the blonde glaring at them in the front row. Josie smirks and turns towards Hope.

"My sister doesn't know you well enough" Josie states. 

"Neither do you" Hope says. The teacher walks into the class which causes Josie to turn her head to face the front. She then explains that they need to work in pairs on a healing gel with the person next to them. "Looks like you're working with me, if you don't hate me by the end of this then I don't think you'll ever hate me" 

"Are you really determined for me to hate you?" Josie asks, as she starts making the gel. "The only person that I know that hates you is my sister, I haven't heard anyone else say anything bad about you" 

"Oh really? What do people say about me then?" Hope says as she leans closer to her. Josie looks up at her and takes in a shaky breath. 

"I only hear them saying how you're a miracle. I even heard Rafael say that you saved his life and that you're a hero" Josie mutters, paying attention to the healing gel she is creating. 

"You're doing it wrong" Hope says as she looks down at the gel. Josie looks up at her and back down at the gel. 

"what do you mean i'm doing it wrong? I don't do things wrong..." Josie says. Hope finds herself laughing at Josie's self confidence. 

"It's suppose to be a light green colour, that's purple" 

In the end Hope ends up creating the Gel and it ended up perfect. Josie offered to be tested on as she doesn't heal quickly. Josie put her hand on the table for Hope to put a small cut on her palm. "You've been going to this school since it opened right?" Hope asks as she carefully slices Josie's hand. Luckily it doesn't hurt her much. 

"Yeah" Josie says, looking down at her hand. "My Mum and Dad, they opened it after Stefan Salvatore died, he use to live here." she explains. She watches as Hope puts the healing Gel on her hand, the small cut heals right away. "Would you look at that" Josie says, surprised at Hope's skill.

"My aunt Freya taught me that when I was nine" Hope says with a slight smile. 

"Why did you decide to come here then?" Josie asks. "Sorry that sounded bad, I meant because you seem to already have everything under control, you know magic more advanced then anything I know and I've seen your grades... You're really smart"

"Going here was my dad's idea, it was about being around people my own age that were like me and I felt drawn here so I didn't argue with him about it" 

"What do you mean you felt drawn here?" Josie asks. Hope realizes what she had just said and she decides to play it off like it meant nothing when really Hope knew that it had something to do with her imprinting on someone. 

"I meant that when I got here I really liked it, something about the place felt like home and I think I needed a purpose. I had been home schooled my whole life" Hope explains. Josie nodded, buying it.