nights like this

The guests started flooding in after I got ready. Rowan was the first to come with Rider and the football team close behind her. Soon majority of the seniors and juniors were inside and the music was blasting. The football team had set up a keg in the backyard by the pool and there were people playing pool in the game room.

I greeted guests looking around every now and then to see if River had arrived.

Maybe he wasn't coming.

After watching the boys at the keg for a while I went back inside to get a drink when I bumped into someone. I almost slipped on my heels but they quickly grabbed me.

"I am so sorry," I said, looking up to see a pair of green eyes staring down.
"It's fine," River said, lowly.
"Oh, you made it."
"Yeah."

I had forgotten how close we were until I heard a cough behind me and pulled away to turn around. It was Rider and Rowan.

"We were just about to ask if you guys wanted to join us at the pool table," Rider said.
"Oh, um sure. You coming?" I said looking back at River.
"Sure," he replied.

The four of us walked into the game room, some of Rider's friends following to watch.
"Ok, Rider and Lia are up first," Rowan stated.

"I was just planning on watching I don't know how to play other than on IMessage Games," I laughed.
"You have a pool table in your house and don't know how to play?" Rider asked.
"Well my parents and Romeo only use it really," I defended.

"Hey Atkins, you know how to play?" Rider asked.
"Yeah," River answered.
"Well could you help this pretty girl out," Rider laughed, nodding his head towards me.
"Sure."

River got off the wall and moved behind me, fixing my hands on the cue stick and placing his lightly on top of mine. "This okay," he asked. I hummed a reply and Rider hit the ball.

When it was our turn River explained how the game went and shifted closer to hit the ball. Rowan was in the corner of the room smirking at me.

Oh boy, she isn't gonna shut up about this later.

The game ended up being fun and River and I won, he was also beginning to open up and looked like he was having fun.

"Who knew Atkins was good at pool?" Rider asked, confused on how he lost. I looked at River and we both laughed as the others watching also laughed.

Another football player, Alex, walked into the room, "Hey guys, we're about to play Truth or Dare."

"What are we, eleven?" Rowan laughed.
"Victor's idea, not mine," he replied walking out as we all followed.

We sat in a circle in the living room with an empty beer bottle set in the middle. Victor suggested I spin first because it was my party. It landed on Rowan.

"Truth," she said.
"If you had to date someone in the circle, who would it be?"
"Rider, he doesn't annoy me as much as the rest of you bums."
"Thanks, Rowan," Alex cut in.
"No problem, love."
Everyone laughed as Rowan took her turn. It landed on Victor.

The game went on and soon it was Rowan's turn to spin again, it landed on me. An evil grin was plastered on her face. 

Uh oh.

"I'm guessing you'll pick Truth."
"Dare," I said. I thought of how stupid that was, she was tricking me.
"Ok Lia. You have to play 7 Minutes in Heaven with...River," she said dramatically pausing before saying River so she wasn't obvious.

Everyone looked at River, who's face was now bright red. "Oh, this is too good," Alex laughed.

River slowly stood up as I talked, "You don't have to-."
"It's fine," he said, cutting me off. He helped me up and we walked towards the closet as some of the guys howled in the back.

"Shut up," Rowan scowled.

I closed the closet door, it was pitch black. I didn't even know where he was until he put his hand out accidentally brushing my side.

"Sorry," he murmured.
"You apologize a lot, you know that," I laughed
"Sor-shit," he murmured.
I laughed at his statement.
"You know I've never had nights like this," he said.
"Like what?"
"Going to a party. Actually talking to people, especially people like you guys."

"What do you mean?"
"The football team, you. I rarely talk at all and here I am playing pool with the popular kids. I don't know, it's different. No one really pays attention to me."
"I do."
"Really? I'm not interesting though."
"Yeah you are. I've seen your sketch book in French class, you're really good. And I know you painted that picture at the end of B Hall, even though you didn't want credit."
"How'd you find out? I asked to paint it at night."
"Well, I stay late sometimes to edit films in the AV Room."

"I know, but the AV Room is on C Hall."
"I wander sometimes and get clips in the halls. You knew I was there?"
"Yeah, I'd hear you playing Mac Demarco or the Lumineers sometimes."
"It's that loud."
"Sometimes, but you have good taste in music."
"Thanks."
"You're welcome."

Suddenly we were quiet and I felt River shuffling in the tight space. I absentmindedly moved forward, closing the space between us. I could hear his breathing hitch when I put my hand on his neck.

I moved in closer and he mimicked. Just as our lips were about to touch the door slammed open and we quickly pulled apart.

"Times up, lovebirds," Rowan smirked.

Leave a comment I'm bOreD😔

Vote if you like the story so I know to continue, bubs🙃