sunflower

*Ophelia's POV*

The sky was dark through the plane window, enlightened by the thousands of city lights below marking New York City.

The loud, awake city in all its glory stood silent from our distance. Its lights slowly fading away as we flew across towards the west.

Pulling down the window cover, I turned to River who was busy reading Wuthering Heights. He seemed deep in thought, his expression displaying confusion as he read.

I moved the armrest separating our seats and leaned against him. I could see his smile slowly appear from my peripheral vision as he continued. It was nice, the silence on the plane.

The only noise being of the low engine and the small whispers of music and movies through the others' headphones. Focusing on the silence and familiar scent of lavender, I shut my eyes and fell into a deep trance of sleep.

***

Hand in hand, we walked out of the LAX Airport and were met with the heat and busy streets of Los Angeles. The chauffeur quickly led us to the car and we were on our way to the Beverly Hills Hotel.

It was different compared to our Pennsylvanian town. The skies were blue, clear of any snow, rain or light greys. The streets were far more louder, people walking and driving in every possible direction. And instead of streets filled with suburban neighborhoods, brick buildings, and pizzerias, they had high skyscrapers, condos and malls.

Everyone walking the streets had on either shorts and crop tops or baggy band tees and jeans, riding skateboards and trudging along.

"We're here." The chauffeur opened my door and I got out, thanking him. River made his way next to me, slowly grabbing my hand as the valet took our bags.

A tall man in blazer with black slacks slowly followed and held his hand out for River, "Mr. Atkins, great to finally have you here! And this must be Ms. Thompson, nice to meet you."

He turned towards me with a smile before also shaking my hand, "Hi, it's nice to meet you too. You can call me Lia, though."

He shook his head, "Highly noted. I'm Matt Slater, the President of Amazing Interiors. You'll have today and tomorrow morning to explore, but I just wanted to stop by to formally meet you both. I'll have my secretary email you the scheduled meeting so you can meet the owner of the house and I suggest casual wear, he's a very... 'Gen-Z' kind of guy so to say. Very much a character."

As he continued talking, I zeroed in on the hotel. It had an old theme to it, styled as the infamous 50s. The hotel had palm trees surrounding it, not reaching the height of the building.

I felt a tug on my hand before turning towards River, "You okay? You seem...distant."

"Just observing don't worry, sunflower." I smiled and kissed his cheek before walking ahead just behind Mr. Slater.

The inside was decorated with light pinks and dark greens, stripes covering the drapes. Once at the elevator, he turned a key as River finally caught up.

Mr. Slater turned around with a smile on his face, "You guys are in for a treat."

***
He had handed River the suite key to open for ourselves and made his way back down the elevator.

The room was more of an apartment, holding a living room alongside a master bedroom and a bathroom with a claw bathtub. The balcony had a perfect view of the city and everything below.

I watched from behind the glass doors of the balcony as River slowly wrapped his arms around my waist, nuzzling his face into the side of my neck.

"Thank you," he mumbled.
"For what?"
"For coming. For being with me."
I smiled, touching his cheek, "You don't have to thank me for that, of course I would. I love you."

Oh no.

My heart dropped at my sudden realization as to what I said. I felt his body quickly go rigid against mine as I had the sudden wish to disappear.

It wasn't that I didn't mean it, but saying something like that at such a random time wasn't my plan. I tried to think of an excuse in those seconds that felt like forever.

I didn't mean to.

It's okay if you don't feel the same.

I get it.

I-

"I love you too."

And thats on filler chapters😳

I wanted to update earlier but I procrastinated on a lot of schoolwork- Luckily I turned it all in on time but whew chileeee.

I think I'm at 13k reads right now and it's been growing quickly in the past 5 days and I just 🥺 Thank you so much, I'm happy you like the book and I love you💞 Also I've been literally DYING at some of the comments it gets, you guys are funny💀

PS: Just wanted to comment on the chapter title being a Harry Styles song. Tiktok has gotten me obsessed with his music again and I'm definitely okay with that. With all that being said, stream Fine Line.