honey

Side Note: River calls Salani(his black mother) mom and Amani(his Indian mother) mother.
My hand instantly went to his cheek, wiping it off before he started speaking.

"I shouldn't even be crying this is so stupid."
"What happened?"

"Well after your parents dropped me off I went inside and there was some lady with my parents." He stopped, letting out a shaky breath while putting his hands over his face in the process.

"Lia, it was my biological mom."

My heart began to beat rapidly at the information. I couldn't imagine what he or his moms were feeling. River's been with them since before he even turned one. He never talked about his biological parents and I assumed it was because he didn't know much.

"What- how did she even find you? Actually no, start from the beginning."

*River's POV*

I said goodbye to Lia and her parents before walking into my house. Pongo was sitting in the corner as usual as I moved into the living room. My moms were on the couch seated adjacent to a woman. She looked around their age and had blonde hair, blue eyes, with light freckles.

They didn't even have to say anything, by the looks on their face and the way the woman looked I instantly knew.

My mom had a tissue in her hand, and was clearly crying.

"River, honey, come sit down," she asked patting the area next to her. I dropped my bag hesitantly before walking over, not bothering to look at the woman.

"This is Michelle," my mother spoke up.
She stuck out her hand for me to shake but I just looked.

Seventeen years later she decides to show up.

I would've been nicer if the situation was different, but it wasn't. My parents didn't keep any secrets from me when it came to my life before them. It was pretty hard to after I realized that everyone else in my kindergarten class didn't have "two mommys". Not to mention the fact that none of us are the same race.

She dropped her hand before speaking, "You've gotten so big."

You know that moment where you try your hardest to be nice, but the person is purposely testing you? That's exactly how I felt.

The last time this lady saw me was hours after I was born. It wasn't even a full day later. I rolled my eyes at her comment before leaning back into the couch.

I literally have nothing to say. And there's nothing she could possibly say to redeem herself.

She continued after no one spoke, "I saw you in the newspaper. I instantly knew it was my-."

"Wait," I stopped her from finishing, "The newspaper? The only paper that published me was the one in this town and the next town over."

She nodded.
"You mean to tell me you've been here the whole time and you're just now magically finding me?"

She sighed, "I moved out of New York awhile after you were born and went to Florida. I just recently came back to Pennsylvania to live with my sister."
"When?"
"Last month."
"So?"
"So what?" she asked.
"So what are you doing here?"

"Well I wanted to come see you obviously. You're my son," she said with a frown.
"No, I'm not. You don't get to call me that, they do," I pointed at my moms, "A mother doesn't leave her child in a box in an alley. Not to mention in the middle of the winter."

My mom let out a shaky breath before I looked in her direction. We've only ever talked about what exactly happened once, but you could always tell how much it bothered her.

"Sorry, mom."
"Don't apologize, honey."

I started playing with my hands, not knowing what else to say.
"River. I made mistakes, but I was young and I wasn't- well I used to-."
"Do drugs? We know."

Her eyes widened at the fact that I already knew.

I continued, "They let me look at the police report. I knew everything, other than your name or what you looked like."
"How old were you when you found out?" she asked with a sad expression.
I shrugged, "I don't know, like twelve."

The room went quiet again before my mother spoke up.
"River how do you feel about this?"
Seeing she was a therapist I was used to her asking these types of questions.

"The real question is: how does she feel?"
"I feel terrible," Michelle responded.
"You should."
"River," my mother said in shock.

"I just want to know why she found it necessary to look for me now. Didn't you think it'd be better to leave me alone? I'm doing fine the way it is."
"But I wanted to see you-."
"So you were selfish back then when you left your kid to die and you're still selfish now trying to see me."

She stayed quiet so I continued, "What do you even plan on having us do? Or was this a one time thing where you show your face and leave?"

Michelle looked shocked and almost hurt, "No! I plan on getting to know you, that is if you're okay with that."
"Give me a good reason on why I should let you."
"Because, I'm your mother. Your actual mother."

"So what are they? Just the babysitters?" I pointed at my parents, "That's a lousy reason. I'm leaving."

I got up from my seat on the couch, assuring my mom by telling her I'd be with Lia before leaving. Sitting in my car I just felt all the emotions I had when I first found out. Hearing that your own mother left you out to die in a box was hurtful. I could swear that I felt even worse than I did when I found out.

I didn't want her back in my life, and I wished she had never came looking in the first place. It just complicated things.

After I started getting older, I always wished I had more answers about my biological family. But after a while I just went back to not caring. As far as I was concerned I had a great family, and that could've easily been changed being in the system.

I hadn't even realized I was crying until I stopped zoning out. I called Lia before driving to her house. I felt bad because she wasn't really able to be with her family and her I was calling her.

I didn't even bother drying my eyes when she came out because I was still thinking about everything that was and already has happened.

*Back to Lia's POV*

"So there's a possibility she's still there?" I asked.
"I guess so."
"River, I'm so sorry." I genuinely didn't know what to say. This was a pretty complex situation.

I moved to the middle of the seat, pulling him in for a hug that he instantly eased into. He put his head in the crook of my neck.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled against my skin.
"For what?" I used my hand to level his face to mine.
"For dropping this on you. I know you probably want to be with your family."

"Don't apologize for that. You're not a burden, River, I want to be here for you. I'm your girlfriend, you can tell me these things. My family can wait."
He nodded before I kissed his cheek and went back to hugging him, rubbing his back until I eventually figured out he had fallen asleep.

Not even 24 hours after the previous update😌✨

How do you all feel about River and his biological mom? Are we Team Michelle or not?