looking at me

The next morning, I woke up to see River sitting on the edge of the bed. He only had boxers on while he scrolled through his phone. His back was facing me, so he wasn't able to see that I had woken up.

The only thing covering my still exposed body was the blanket wrapped around me as I squinted from the sunlight breaking through the windows.

I sat up, still holding the blanket up to my chest before wrapping my arms around River, leaning against his back.

He turned his head slightly and smiled, "Good morning, gorgeous."
"Good morning, sunshine," I sighed as he reached behind himself for my hand before kissing my palm.

"The meeting is at four o'clock, so we have six hours," he said while holding my hand in place against his chest.
I responded with an okay before getting up, wrapping the blanket around my body.

"Where are you going?" He pulled the back of the blanket, me along with it until I was in his lap with my back against his chest.
"The shower," I mumbled, my heart skipped a beat as he spoke, brushing his lips against my ear.

He picked me up bridal style as I laughed in the ugliest way possible causing him to laugh also.

"You didn't even ask me if I wanted to join," he pouted.
"Well, do you?"
His actions were enough of an answer as he carried me to the bathroom.

***

We were currently walking around Universal Studios Hollywood, eating ice cream hand in hand after we got off of our third ride.

It felt nice outside, it was definitely better than the usual cold and snowy Pennsylvania weather. After we had got ready earlier that morning, I called my parents and Romeo, according to him he was perfectly fine without me.

Rowan had took it upon herself to replace me with my brother, taking him to hang out with her and the rest of our friends at the square. It was nice knowing my brother could count on my friends even without me around. And by the looks of all of their Snapchat stories everyone was having fun.

Well everyone except for Quinn, who had the nerve to spam her account with rants that were clearly directed at our whole friend group even without the names. But worrying about her was the last thing I was going to do.

It's holiday break, I'm on vacation with my sweet boyfriend. I'm not about to ruin my mood by thinking about her.

I scratched my thoughts of Quinn and turned to River who quickly averted his gaze, pretending to be interested in the long lines.

"Don't tell me you're still scared of me catching you staring," I laughed.
He quickly looked down at me, scrunching up his nose, "I am not." His words said one thing, but the red tint appearing on his cheeks implied another.

"Are too," I mumbled, stifling a laugh as he jokingly let go of my hand and walked ahead, "Wait! You can't just leave me!"
"Says who?"

He stopped at a fun house that lacked the usual long line, throwing away the plastic ice cream cup and making his way inside before I followed. After the man at the entrance let me in, I entered into a long dark hall before walking into a maze of mirrors.

"I forgot how frustrating these things were," I mumbled as I bumped into yet another mirror.

I felt arms wrap around my waist, pulling me back causing me to scream before a hand was placed over my mouth, "Geez Lia, it's just me." River laughed, removing his hand.

I pulled myself out of his hold before nudging him, "You scared the shit out of me, I thought you would've been ahead!"
"I was, but you were too busy looking at the floor to notice me walking back."
"I was trying to find my way out," I shook my head before turning back towards the path I was headed to walk through the next room.

Noticing I was still lost, River wrapped his arm around my shoulder before easily walking through the maze to the next room.

"Show off."
He laughed before removing his arm and slightly pushing me ahead by my lower back, "Whatever." This room was completely dark only being illuminated by a red light every once in a while making it hard to navigate.

I had felt around the dark area to find my way back to River only to realize he wasn't there, "River, I swear if you scare me again I'll-." I gasped as the red light flashed back on and he was standing directly in front of me.

This time I pushed him hard as the light turned off and he laughed at my reaction.

"You're so easy to scare," he laughed.
"Yeah well that movie Us kind of ruined fun houses for me."
"Don't tell me you actually found that scary."
"Yes. Very scary actually."

"Don't worry I won't let the doppelgängers get you," he mocked before I felt his hands brush against me. Once he realized where I was he pressed his body against my backside, playing with the hems of my orange skirt.

Once the light flashed I tried memorizing the flooring, slowly guiding us to the end of the room and to an easier one just using dividers before reaching the exit.

"Didn't realize you two were still in there." We turned in the direction of the voice where the same man was seated by the entrance farther down. He clearly looked suspicious and the fact that River still had his hands wrapped around me didn't help.

He laughed before continuing, "I'm joking."

***

"Stop looking at me," I pressed my lips together to stop the laugh that was dying to come out.

River leaned his head against mine, a smile spreading across his face. We were at the top of the ferris wheel, seated in a circular cart, the sun still shining brightly. He placed his arm behind me before kissing behind my ear.

"I can't look at you anymore?"
I shook my head, looking down and giggling as he continued to playfully whisper in my ear. I placed my hand on River's cheek pushing him away, "Where'd this sudden boldness come from?"

He moved his arm into my lap and grabbed my hand before shrugging, "It's just easy to be like this around you."
"Well aren't I the best girlfriend," I jokingly comment.
He slowly looked down at me before smiling again, "That you are."

When I tell you I am SHOCKED- we hit 1k votes on this book!! Thank you guys so much for the love on this, ilysm🥺

Random Rant: I had break last week hence why I didn't update earlier and my best friend surprised me with a trip to Florida for the week. I swear he's the greatest friend ever🤧Anyways back to rewatching Stranger Things 3, byeeee