hello?

*River's POV*

I had been lying in my bed Thursday night staring at my ceiling once again. Contemplating the answer to the question I had since Monday.

Should I tell Ophelia?

It's not like I did anything wrong, but I knew she would be upset I waited so long to tell her. It was just uncomfortable to even think about.

She noticed how I changed, but didn't try budging and I was scared she might've thought I regretted what we did that day. Which I don't. I wanted to be able to tell her it has nothing to do with her and that I still feel the same. That she wasn't the problem.

Quinn was.

I started distancing myself from Lia this week, and the fact that we would be alone in L.A together just seemed like it would blow up someway.

*Flashback: Right before French Class*

"I need you two to repaint the wall in the square. It's been a while and you should put new subjects on them," our art teacher suggested.

Freshman year we had painted the wall to a bookstore with things we considered valuable. Ms. Viola liked to do random art pieces that wasn't really related to anything, the wall being a minor example to many questionable ones.

"Like what?" Quinn asked.
"It's your lives. You put what you're interested in."
She quickly pushed us out of her room. After telling our teacher we'd be gone, we drove to the town square.

***

"So, you and Lia?" We were 30 minutes into the painting only having a background done so far.
"Yeah?"
"You actually like her?"

I turned to Quinn not understanding if it was a genuine question or if it was meant to be thought of in disgust.

"Yes, a lot actually. Why do you ask?"
"It's just she- never mind." She turned her face towards the wall and continued.

Putting the paint down, I looked in frustration, "She just what?"
"She's not very...right for you is all."
"What's that supposed to mean?"
She rolled her eyes, "You guys don't mesh, River. Don't act like you don't know."

She was right. Ophelia was out of my league. She was entirely too perfect for me. But for that reason, I knew I had to try to show her how much I cared about her. She meant so much to me. It was like everything she did was enticing.

"I get that she's too good for me."
Quinn stopped, looking at me with a confused expression, "No I meant because she's black."

My heart dropped, "Why does that matter?"
"Look don't get me wrong, I love Lia. She's a great person, but I just think she should date her own kind, you know?"

"No...I don't know." I was slowly getting more and more aggravated with every word coming out of her mouth.

"Oh come on, if you think you two will work out you're practically insane. You won't work in the long run, even if she has the lifestyle of a white person."

"I don't understand, you're with Victor. He's not white and I-."
"Victor's just eye candy, I don't actually want to be with him. Which I suggest you do the same with Lia. I just don't see a black girl with a white guy actually working out? Are your parents even okay with this?"

My parents. She's joking right?

"Well seeing that neither of them are white or male, yes. Yes they are okay with it."

She looked shocked, but now I was just pissed off. She had the nerve to tell me about the relationship I was in as if it concerned her. And tried to justify it with things that didn't even make sense to anyone in the right mind.

"Well...you don't have to follow in your parents footsteps. They technically aren't your parents anyways so-."

"I don't know what type of racist bullshit you have going on, but don't sit here and try to talk down on my parents or my girlfriend. They have nothing to do with you."

I stood up, getting ready to leave but Quinn kept stepping in my way, "River, I'm just looking out for you. In all honesty, I think we would be better together."

I don't think I've ever been more disgusted with a person as much as I am right now. Not only did I just have the weirdest conversation, but now she was trying to seduce me.

She kept rubbing her hands on my arms before I pulled her off and left.

*End Flashback*

I wanted to tell Ophelia everything, but I didn't want her to feel a certain way either. I noticed how a person's opinion could steer her judgement and I'd hate to see her view herself badly.

She was gorgeous. Inside and out. I could name hundreds of things that I liked about her. Loved about her. The way her eyes look when she looks at me. The way she smiles or laughs when watching a movie. The way she could literally make me melt with just one hug or a kiss.

I looked at my phone a last time before deciding to call.

She picked up quickly, before waiting and finally speaking.

"Hello?" Her voice was soft and calming.
"Hi."
"It's pretty late. Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I just-." I can't tell her over the phone. "I wanted to hear your voice. I miss you."

She laughed, "You saw me earlier."
"Doesn't mean I don't miss you."
"Well, I miss you too."
"...Is it too late to ask to come over?"
She laughed again, "I'll unlock the door."

That was a rollercoaster😳

What do you think River should do?