silence

I was sadly awoken that Tuesday morning in my cozy blankets to the anxiety-wrenching alarm set on my phone. I slowly sat up in irritation and played my usual chill playlist for the mornings before getting ready.

I decided to just go with a pair of black jeans, pink adidas, and a Black Barbies crop top before heading out the door with Romeo close behind.

"I'm trying out for the school play," Romeo said, out of absolutely nowhere.
"Romeo and Juliet," I scrunched my nose as I cringed at the similarity.
"Yeah, I heard Hailey is going for Juliet," he smiled.
"Disgusting," I scowled. Hailey was a sophomore Romeo had been trying to "pull" since he got into high school a measly three months ago. "You really think a freshie is going to get a lead?"

"Not just any freshie. This freshie. I'm irresistible," he said matter of factly.
"You're an irritating pest, that's what you are," I murmured pulling up into Rita's Bakery parking lot.
"I thought we go to Johnsons on Tuesdays, we haven't been here in forever."
"Old habits are coming back," I said hopping out.

I opened the door and Rita smiled as I walked in, Romeo curiously following. "Hi sweetheart," she smiled before hugging me. I looked over he shoulder and spotted River at a booth with The Catcher in the Rye keeping him busy as he drank a cup of coffee. Rita dragged Romeo along with her to the counter so that he could pick out what he wanted as I sat down across from River.

He slowly looked up confused before he realized it was me and shyly smiled. "Hi," he murmured putting the book down.

"Hi. So, how many times?"
"Sorry?"
I pointed to the book sitting on the wooden table, "How many times have you read it. I hope it isn't your first."
"Oh, five. I've read the book five times."
"Seven. Might want to catch up."

He laughed slightly before looking down at his hands neatly folded, "I've noticed that whenever the Literature teacher brings up something from the book to tie into the lesson no one ever understands."

"That's sad. Holden's a relatable person. Where are you?"
He looked back up, "The part where he goes ice skating with Sally."
"Well, I'll let you get back to it," I smile before patting the table to get up.
"Wait."
"Yes?" I stopped to turn around, standing closer to River.
He swallowed before fidgeting with his hands and looking down, "I was wondering- would you- would you maybe want to-."

"LIA WHY THE HELL WERE YOU TAKING ME TO JOHNSONS THIS FRENCH TOAST IS AMAZING," Romeo yells from across the bakery. River and I, startled, look in his direction and see Rita laughing as Romeo demolishes his french toast.
"This is why I don't take you anywhere," I groan. It had only been River in the bakery, but still Romeo was acting like a child.

"Yeah, yeah. So could I get some of this to go, please," He turned to Rita who genuinely smiled.
"Of course, darling," she went back into the kitchen as Romeo thanked her and looked in my direction.
"Could you please stop flirting with your boyfriend for five seconds and come try this french toast," he pouted.

"You are such a pest. River and I are just friends," I rolled my eyes.
"Didn't you tell me that about Alex? You know, right before you dated," Romeo said, playing innocent.

I know. Alex was just another blockhead football player, but I was a freshman at the time and it seemed only logical to get my first boyfriend. I'm not happy to say that it was him, but he was sweet back then and didn't even pressure me when I said I didn't want to have my first kiss so early.

"I was your age and immature," I narrowed my eyes. Romeo looked over at River with a nonchalant expression. I followed his eyes and River was looking down at his hands in his lap, a red tint covered his cheeks.

Oh, brother.

"Romeo, you've had enough breakfast for today, don't you think? Get in the car," I said sternly.
"But I-."
"Get in the fucking car," I said through a clenched jaw. Romeo looked terrified as he quickly went outside.

I turn to River who was still looking down and sit next to him. He was in the middle of the seat so we were extremely close. He instantly looked up.

"I'm sorry about him, he hasn't seemed to get a filter yet," I apologize with a sad smile.
"It's fine, it's not my business," he murmured trying to stop gazing at me.
"What did you want to tell me?"
"Nothing. We should probably get to school."

I twist my body to face him, placing my arm on the table and my hand on the seat. "And how exactly are you getting out?"

He notices that he's closed in and looks at Rita for help, but she walks outside to give Romeo a bag instead.

"Please let me out," he says softly.
"You can leave when you say what you wanted to say."
"But it wasn't important."
"I don't see you as the type of person to speak if it is irrelevant. Please, just tell me." I lean in closer so that my eyes meet his which are facing towards the ground along with his lowered head. He looks into my eyes, forgetting to look away this time.

"I wanted to know if you would like to go to art museum...with me. They're showing some of my pieces in the exhibit," he stated, still holding my gaze.

I didn't respond and noticed the complete silence of the bakery, but it wasn't uncomfortable it was actually calming. We were sitting in the booth, staring at each other as if it were normal. My lips weren't that far from his and I could smell his scent, he didn't smell like cheap cologne or ace like the majority of high school boys. He smelled like sweet lavender. And his breath smelled like the vanilla coffee he had been drinking. And his eyes were currently blue orbs that resembled blue star flowers. And his lips were red like cherries. And his light freckles on the bridge of his nose looked like specks of fairy dust. And his hair continued to golden as the sun began to shine through the large glass window behind him.

I continued to look him in the eye, still close to his face as it was slightly hung.

"Is it a date?"
"I- I don't know really."
"Do you mind if it is?"
"N-no."
"Then it's a date."

I quickly get up, startling him and placed the money for Romeo's french toast on the counter before walking out and towards my car.

Rita smiled at me from the curb, "That's my girl."