friends

After hours of searching through racks and displays of dresses and hours of trying them on, Rowan and I found the perfect outfits.

Rowan had decided to buy a royal blue, long off the shoulder skater dress with a pair of blue vans against my wishes. I had decided on a long, fitted silk burgundy dress. Rowan had gloated, saying it looked amazing on me and I had to get it. I bought a pair of satin lace up heels and we finally were on our way out of the mall.

Suddenly, we heard our names being called and turned to see Rider and Alex walking towards us.

"I know Lia isn't dress shopping this late," Alex laughed.
Rider looked back and forth between Rowan and I, "Usually you're dragging Rowan dress shopping a month early."
"Thank god that wasn't the case," Rowan sighed with relief.

"So I'm guessing you two have dates seeing it's our senior year," Alex stated.
"We're each other's date. I turned down Rider," Rowan replied linking arms with me.

Wait a minute.

"Wait a minute," I began, "You said no to Rider? How come I'm just hearing about this?"
She shrugged, "We always go together. I didn't wanna break the tradition."

"Forget the tradition! Did you ask someone else yet? What color are you wearing Rider?"
"I just thought I'd go alone and I don't know what color yet," he stated.
"You're wearing royal blue, end of discussion."

Rowan pouted, "But what about you?"
"Alex doesn't have a date," Rider announced.
Rowan and I turned to Alex and back to each other.

Go to HOCO with my ex boyfriend?

"Actually she's planning on going with River," she blurted out, "I kinda forgot."
I looked at her with a questioning expression, "What-."
She nudged me and laughed nervously, "Anyways you two have fun shopping for dresses. Make sure to get royal blue, Rider."

And with that she pulled me away heading for the exit door.

"Call River." Rowan stated.
"But-."
"Now Lia!"
I reluctantly listened and she snatched the phone out of my hand, before I could even register her actions she was talking.

"Hey Atkins I need you to get to the mall. Now."
"Yes, this is Rowan."
"You're taking Lia to Homecoming."
"Did I stutter, loverboy?"
"You better be in your car doing the dash right about now."
"Because she's making me go with Rider so you're going with her. Don't act like you don't want to, golden boy."
"Glad you wanna go, but honestly you didn't have a choice. Meet us at the main entrance."

She hung up passing my phone back to me as I looked in shock.

"I can't believe you just did that."
"You'll thank me later, sweetie."
"I doubt it! My best friend just called a boy and forced him to take me to the dance!"
"He would've wanted to do it anyways, he's just too shy to ask. Plus you're basically together."
"We literally just kissed, you're pushing it."
"Blah blah blah."

I rolled my eyes, holding in a laugh to show my frustration. Rowan has always been the do-before-you-think one of our duo. Although I was laid back, I questioned decisions way much more than she ever did.

After a couple of minutes, River was getting out of his car and walking towards us.

"Loverboy! You made it, let's go," Rowan said, speed walking to a store.
When we entered, Alex and Rider were being fitted in their tuxedos. A woman walked towards us who I realized was River's mom, Salani.

"Hi, loves," she smiled at us.
"River here is escorting Lia to the dance," Rowan said, grinning evilly.
"Really, oh my gosh! What color is your dress?!"
"Um, it's burgundy," I muttered.
She nodded enthusiastically, grabbing her son's hand and pulling him deeper into the store.

Rowan and I made our way to Rider and Alex who were looking at their outfits in the mirror.

"It's bad luck if you see his tux, Ro," Alex said.
"I'm pretty sure that only applies for people getting married. And who cares it's a high school dance," she shrugged.

"Anyways, River's really taking you to the dance huh?" Alex glanced at me before sitting in the chair directly across from Rowan and I.

"Yup," I nodded.
He looked at me as if he wanted to ask another question, but instead looked at Rider who was quietly watching.
"Aren't you adorable," Alex said, punching Rider's leg slightly.

He rolled his eyes in response before looking away, "You're so annoying."
"I get that a lot," he stated and looked directly at me as I coughed awkwardly.

"I sense tension," Rowan said, imitating a fortune teller.
"Alex stop being weird, she's going with River," Rider said, suddenly agitated.
"I know. I'm not being weird," he turned to Rider, equally as annoyed and back at me as I sat awkwardly in my chair fiddling with my nails.

"Walk with me?"
"Oh um, sure," I murmured cautiously getting up. He headed for the door as I followed behind and outside to the sidewalk. I held my coat arms waiting for him to speak as he looked at me, trying to figure out how to piece his words together.

"I know that we dated years ago and we were just a little part of our high school lives, but I genuinely liked you. And I still do," he stated, breaking the silence.
I looked up, shocked, "Alex, I-."
"I know. You like Atkins and that's cool. I have no place to talk seeing that I'm involved with Emma. I just want you to know why I'm acting the way I am and I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable. I just hope we can stay friends."

I nodded understandingly, "Of course." I smiled before giving him a friendly hug and we walked back inside where the others were.

"Oh babe, you missed River all dressed up in his tux!" Rowan cooed at me.
"I guess I'll have to wait until the dance."
"My baby is growing up," she wiped away a fake tear, "Anyways we'll see you three later. Bye Cory. Shawn. Loverboy."

Rowan locked arms with me as I said my goodbyes to the shy blue-eyed boy and the two boys who had always been compared to the Boy Meets World duo and we headed home.

make sure to check out my other stories and follow me to keep up with my content💕