easy

On New Years my parents conveniently had us take a short trip an hour from town to see my dad's parents. We weren't as close to them as my mother's but they were still family. Not to mention they gave good gifts.

I tried calling River but it went straight to voicemail so I figured his phone was off. We spent the day with our grandparents before going back home. The whole trip was tiring so I fell asleep right away, dreading the next day at school.

***

I felt my shoulder slightly be shaken before waking up to my dad sitting at the edge of my bed, "You slept through your alarm as usual after break."

"My bad," I said with a smile.
"Yeah, you're bad," he said laughing, "Go get ready. Leaving my room, he closed the door as I began to get ready for the first day of school in the new year.

Running downstairs, I saw Romeo ready to go, "You're late and we're supposed to go to Rita's today."

"Y'know for someone who doesn't have a car you talk a lot of sh-, good morning mom," I said catching a glimpse of our mother in the corner of my eye.

"Good morning Ophelia."
"Welp, time to go to Rita's we'll see you guys later. Love you, bye," I quickly rushed out as I pushed Romeo out the door.

As soon as we entered the door to Rita's Bakery the warm air hit as I slowly took off my coat. There were the usual customers with a couple of students and at the usual booth in the corner River sat with a cappuccino. He wasn't reading but instead watched the quiet, early morning road outside the window.

I had Romeo order our usuals as I approached my dazed boyfriend.

"Hi River."
He looked over quickly, snapping out of his trance and began to ramble, "Lia. I called you earlier but you didn't answer and I figured you were mad, I'm so-."

I covered his mouth with my hand as I sat across in the booth, "Stop rambling and don't apologize. I'm not mad, just worried." I moved my hand as he sighed.

"I didn't mean to worry you, I didn't think about it I just did it. It seemed fun and I finally got everything off of my mind."
"Your moms told me. About- well you know."

"Yeah. I can't believe I have a sister. You should've seen her. She's like a younger girl version of what I looked like at that age. And she looked so excited."

He slouched back in the booth seat, pushing his legs further under the table.

"So what are you thinking now?"
"I don't want a relationship with Michelle, but I do with Isabelle."
"How do you think they'll respond?"
"She seems manipulative already. I know she's probably going to try something. I've already been overthinking and came up with a million scenarios she might pull."

***

That first day back went slower than anticipated. It seemed like everyone was either in a bad mood due to school or just was tired. Class was boring and filled with work. Lunch wasn't as loud as usual. And River was quiet majority of the day.

I waited outside of the art room for River before heading to our last class, French. The bell rang, children pouring out of the classes as I continued eating my muffin.

Quinn walked out turning directly in my direction almost knocking into me. Her eyes went wide as she gasped, "Oh my god, I'm sorry, Lia."

I knew it was a genuine accident and honestly I wasn't in the mood to talk to her. I shrugged, "It's cool."

Hoping she'd leave probably jinxed it because she shifted on her foot and leaned against the wall right next to me, "So are you planning on going on the France trip."

Everyone is, why are you asking?

"Yup."

River walked out before she could continue and I quickly said "bye" and started walking with him. He put his arm around me before looking back, "What did she want?"

"Nothing, she just tried making small talk."
"She did the same with me. And apparently Rider and Victor."
"I don't know why she's trying so hard, it's not like we were that close."
"Victor said she probably realized her friends are bland and misses us."
"Makes sense," I laughed.

We walked into class sitting in our usual seats. Mr. Melrose pulled up a powerpoint for the field trip this spring, putting packets on each of our desk.

"So this trip is a week long during Spring Break. This is an opportunity to see one of the most popular cities in the world, not do the hanky panky with your significant others."

Rowan scrunched up her nose, "Hanky panky? For the love of God, Melrose, who says that."
"You know what I mean. I can easily point out a few couples in this class alone, and I don't want any funny business happening. If any of you come back needing to file for child support I'll be fired."

"Just wrap up, kids. Easy," Alex yelled out.
"Orrr, don't do it at all," Mr. Melrose stated, scrutinizing Alex, "We all know you guys don't listen so a couple parents are chaperoning. Lia and Emma's dads both already agreed."

"WHAT?" I yelled. It wasn't even an intentional yell, but my dad? I'd like it more if it were my mom. Knowing my father he'd be watching River and I 24/7. And I did not need that.

Lol...I haven't updated in almost two months-
I'M SORRY DEADASS but at first I got distracted by a bunch of stuff and I was rarely on Wattpad and I hate I left you guys hanging because I hate when I read a book on here and that happens. Which makes me a hypocrite but ANYWAYS, this is a filler. I'm gonna force myself to write bc I don't want to give up on this book, I genuinely love it too much.