how many drinks

The rest of the party went by smoothly surprisingly. We talked to the rest of the high schoolers and eventually ended up hanging around the adults for a while. Majority of the time I was with my parents along with River's who were all in deep conversation.

We all talked about the remainder of our school year which included the trip to France, prom and graduation. Just talking about it made me even more excited than I already was.

Victor pulled us aside later in the night while people began to leave, "Just wanted to remind you guys about the New Years Party at Sydney's house. Rider can't have one because his parents will actually be home this year."

Rider sighed, "The one time I get to through a New Years Party they decide they don't want to go out with their friends."
"Well regardless, the party is happening. And believe it or not, Lia you're brother got invited."

My jaw dropped, "How?! People were always so strict on the 'no freshmen' rule. What's so special about Romy?"

"Could you stop with that nickname?" I turned around to see Romeo standing behind me, "And I'm not just any freshman. I thought we established this."

"Romeo you can't go. I can't watch you all night long."
"I'm fourteen, I don't need a babysitter, Ophelia. And besides, I'll be with my friends. Y'know I have those right?"

"Haha. So what are you going to tell mom and dad? That your going out this year for New Years? They won't allow it."

"That's where you come in. You're going to be the sweet, considerate sister that I always thought of you as and tell them we're having a New Years. Mom is all for the whole 'sibling bonding' thing, she'll practically push us out the door."

"Fine. But Romeo, I swear if I even think you're drinking I'll-."
"Kill you," he mocked my voice, "I get it."

He walked off towards his friends to say goodbye, as if the conversation never even occurred. Victor and Alex laughed as I glared at them.

"Y'know I have to admit, your brother is hilarious," Victor said.
"I don't think I've ever even seen him hang out with a freshman," Alex stated.
"Whatever, I'll see you guys later," I said.

I walked off into the foyer with River where our parents were waiting and talking. After what felt like an hour of 'we're leaving' and 'one more minute' their conversation finally fell and we all left.

***

*New Years Eve*

For the past couple of days I stayed in the house working on putting my film together. About two hours before the party it was finally finished and I couldn't help but smile as I sent in my application for CalArts.

River's biological mother, Michelle, hasn't bothered his family since the day she came. I felt as if she either got a hint that River didn't want her around or she was just waiting until after the holidays. Either way he was more at ease.

I began to get ready for the party, searching my closet for the dress I recently got for Christmas. Putting on the dress, I texted River telling him I'd meet him there.

My mom was expecting it to just be Romeo and I hanging out at the town square

My mom was expecting it to just be Romeo and I hanging out at the town square. I put my coat on over my clothing, walking downstairs to see Romeo seated on the coach with our parents.

"I'm so happy that you two decided to spend the New Year together," my mom said, clear admiration in her voice as she spoke.

I nodded simply with a smile as I turned to look at my dad. By the look on the face I knew he knew it was a lie. When he didn't object, I told Romeo it was time to go and we left.

As soon as I got in the car I got a text.

Dad: I know you're going to be with River and all I have to say is don't drink and make sure your brother DOES NOT EITHER!

Ophelia: Thanks dad and I know

***

I pulled up to Sydney's house which was already packed with cars all along the road and driveway. I didn't know much about her other than the fact that she was Alex's younger cousin. She seemed pretty cool though.

Romeo was the first to walk up to the house and turned to me, "I promise I won't do anything stupid and I'll text you if anything happens so don't lose your phone."

"You are so easy do you know that?" I smiled while placing my hand on the top of his head.
"Yeah, yeah, see you later."

And with that he was off with his friends.

He really is growing up.

Looking around the house, I walked further in to find my friends. I spotted Alex along with Rowan in the kitchen bickering. More so Rowan, Alex was just listening to her rant.

"Hey guys."
"Lia! Finally you're here. I'm tired of having to talk to Alex," Rowan said all while pointing towards him.
"Where's everyone else?" I asked as Alex rolled his eyes at Rowan's comment.

"Victor and River are in the backyard and Rider is playing beer pong. Emma isn't here yet," Alex answered.
"Okay well I'll be right back," I walked towards the backyard where I saw a group of people in one large circle.

Cheers erupted as someone stepped away from the keg. My eyes widened at the sight. River had an unbuttoned shirt on with beer streaming down his abs.

"Who knew Atkins had it in him?" someone asked.
Victor pulled him aside and patted him on the back, "You beat my record, congrats."

Moving forward I stopped in front of them. Victor was pulled into the group as River looked down at me.

"You look great," he said in slurs, attempting to pull me closer.
"How many drinks did you have?" I asked all while pulling him inside.
"A lot."