1|| Girls and Spaghetti

“You know, you can be a real ass sometimes. You know that?”

“Well I’m sorry I haven’t seen Star Wars before." Sarcasm rolled off my tongue with an ease akin to breathing. "How should I know that everyone hates Jar Jar Binks? He seemed adorable to me, especially with the meesa thing he does,” I defended incredulously as I waved my hand his way. I kept my eyes on the road, just wanting this topic of conversation to be over.

Ashton was on one of his rants again as he sat beside me in my car, going on and on about the details of his favourite series and taking it more seriously than I thought the topic should be granted. I made the mistake of mentioning my fondness for a character he hated based on a clip I saw the other day. Now I was paying for it.

My best friend huffed in his seat as he crossed his broad arms over his chest, jutting out his lower lip in a pout. “Say you hate Jar Jar Binks. Then I’ll forgive you.”

Suppressing the amused smile trying to escape, I finally relented. “Okay, fine. I hate, abhor, despise Jar Jar Binks. You happy now?”

His frown turned into a bright smile in a dramatic change, sitting up from his slouched position. "Yup, very." He picked up the basketball resting on his lap, spinning it casually and showing no signs of his previous annoyance. “You really should stop saying you like these random characters before watching the movie. Just sayin', you lose friends like that, Aly."

I snorted and shook my head, but smiled when I caught a glance of his contagious grin. He could never stay mad at me for long.

Ashton Kane. What could I say about him? He's been my best friend since our crayon-drawing days. Self-proclaimed big brother who appeases me with food, and one of my rocks on most days. I can count on him - even through his moments of absent-mindedness, I suppose...

We’ve been on the road for fifteen minutes, now just arriving at the school’s parking lot. Ashton almost always rode with me to school because he only lived a couple of streets over from my house. And it saves him gas money, but food is often provided as a return. So it’s all good.

As I turned off the engine and stepped out of my navy car, I called out a farewell. “Bye, Logan! I’ll miss you, baby.”

Ashton was running a hand through his dark, side-swept hair for the umpteenth time before he stopped and raised a brow at me, as if to say 'really?'

“I can’t believe you still say bye to your car. I don't even get this much attention from you.”

“He’s my baby. He will always have my love,” I sighed happily as I rubbed my hand over his silvery-grey hood affectionately.

"So I won't. I see how it is, Logan..." he glared playfully at my car. He had some tough competition.

To be fair, I worked hard for this car, saved up my money from work and bought this baby with only a bit of help from my parents. So, I'd say my love for Logan was totally reasonable, if not entirely healthy.

After a goodbye kiss, I shouldered my bag and started my walk to the front steps with Ashton. The boy was flashing his charming smile and greeting the familiar people we walked past, but my eyes were just absentmindedly wandering the faces of my fellow students. It wasn't like I didn't know people - it was more like my shy ass had no desire to communicate with them if it wasn't necessary.