28|| Gatherings and Candor

My booted feet fumbled down the stairs as my hands went to fix the flyaway strands on the top of my head, for the tenth time. By now, it was more out of nervousness than anything else, but I couldn't seem to stop.

I rounded the corner to the living room and stood in the entryway, looking down at myself to survey my outfit. "Mom? Do I look okay?"

Her eyes wandered over from her tablet to me, eyebrows raising at the sight. "You look great, honey. Where are you going, though?"

"A friend's," I said curtly, my hands brushing off the dust I thought I saw on my sweater.

"Well, you look very fancy and mature for just a visit to your friend's house," she mused.

I was wearing a white V-neck sweater with a grey wool overcoat and some black skinny jeans, paired with my good old heeled boots. I did look pretty adult-y if I did say so myself.

"Oh, it's just... her parents are... the very formal type? Yeah, so I thought I'd dress up a bit," I made up some crap on the spot, hoping she bought my lame excuse.

Her hum suggested that she wasn't convinced, but she let it go. "Alright, don't come back too late. Who's the friend, by the way?"

I settled with the truth. "Leah."

"Oh, Leah? I like that girl, very nice girl," she commented approvingly. I internally smiled at her unknowing acceptance of my girlfriend, feeling almost proud of that.

"Yeah, well, I better get going. Don't wanna be late." Waving goodbye, I was about to head out the door when I was stopped by Addison's voice coming from upstairs.

"I heard Leah's name. Is she coming over?" The little munchkin asked as she padded down the steps, as fast as she was allowed.

"No, sorry Addy. I was about to head over to hers for dinner."

She pouted in disappointment. "Aww. Can she come over anytime soon then? She's fun." The other times Leah has been here, although not many, has mostly been spent in my room. But Addy would sometimes manage to drag her over to her room to play, my girlfriend however not seeming to mind. Currently, Leah was her favourite of all my friends.

I patted her chubby cheeks in reassurance. "No guarantees, but I'll ask her."

She squealed in excitement and ran to tell our mom of the possible visit. I shook my head fondly and made my way out.

It only took me ten minutes to get to hers, but the whole way there, my fingers kept up their fidgety motions by tapping on the steering wheel the whole time. When I stopped in front of the house, I realised I had arrived earlier than when Leah had said to come.

Chewing my bottom lip, I slowly slid out from my parked car in her driveway and made my way to her door. As I stood in front of it, it seemed way more intimidating than the last times I had been here. I blew out one huge breath and just went for it, pressing on the bell and causing its sound to resound through the house.

I only had to wait a couple of seconds before the door was opened by none other than my gorgeous girlfriend. "Hey! You're a bit early." She came forward and gave me a quick kiss on the lips, and then another.

"Sorry, didn't want to be late," I smiled sheepishly, already missing her soft lips.

"No! Don't be sorry. Come in, you can meet my sister before everyone gets here," she said, taking my hand and pulling me in. "You look very nice, by the way." Her eyes gazed up and down my figure appreciatively. I couldn't stop the blush from appearing on my cheeks, kissing her temple in thanks.