17|| Secrets and Dates

I haven’t seen Leah since the day of the game. The entire weekend, I was kept busy with my job at the coffee shop and the school work I stupidly chose to procrastinate on. Although we just became a couple, I couldn’t help but crave for her presence, her attention. It’s why I can’t wait to see her at school tomorrow, and for the record, it is the most excited I’ll ever be for a Monday morning. Her beautiful lips might also be a reason for my eagerness...

I was almost done with my English Literature essay when I got a text from Leah. I instantly dropped what I was doing to click into it.

Leahbear: Whatcha doing?

Lyssaaa: Essay, but f*ck that now.

Although we haven’t been able to see each other in person, we still kept in touch through texts. I cherished these moments where we could talk about absolute nonsense and still keep the conversation going like it was the most interesting topic ever. It was like we were trying to keep each other there for just a little longer.

As I was smiling goofily at my phone because of a sarcastic reply she sent back for something I previously said, someone awkwardly cleared their throat.

My head snapped up in alarm, thinking it was my mom or dad, but all I found was my little sister standing by the half-opened door with her stuffed toy elephant hugged in her arms.

“I came to say good night,” she said timidly, as if afraid to have interrupted me.

I put my phone down and smiled warmly, always finding this daily routine adorable. “Good night, Addy.”

She walked the few steps to my desk where I sat and gave me a kiss on the cheek. “Good night. Sweet dreams.” I internally ‘awwed’ at that. “You look very happy. Who were you texting?” she asked, a child-like innocence to her tone of voice as she tilted her head like a curious puppy.

“A... good friend of mine. Yeah. She was just being funny,” I let out, trying to cover up the small hesitance in my voice.

“Is she your new best friend? Can I meet her?” she asked excitedly, bouncing little bunny hops on the spot. As my little sister, she was always fascinated in meeting my friends, like it was something special because of the age gap between us, making them seem so cool to her. I guess she also liked how they fawned over her cuteness and cooed at her any chance they got.

I was a little stuck on how to answer that, not gonna lie. Because my family didn’t know about that part of me, I couldn’t just go telling the truth to my six-year-old sister. I had to be careful about what I said.

“Umm, she's sort of like that? Kind of? Not really?” I said, trying to skirt around the truth, but I ended up making her confused.

“Huh?”

“Never mind. You’ll meet her someday,” I said offhandedly, hoping that was enough to appease her.

She squealed at that, then proceeded to do this weird celebratory dance that involved a lot of disco moves. A laugh rumbled up from deep in my belly, her hilarious antics catching me off-guard.

“Alright, alright. Head to bed now. Goodnight,” I said, the lingering amusement present in my grin.

She exited the room then, humming happily to herself with a skip in her step. I turned back to my phone and continued my conversation with Leah, now with a fond smile on my face.

The next day, I got to school a little earlier than usual because I was keen on seeing a certain someone, to the point where I drove a little faster than I should’ve. I went and got my books then made my way to Leah’s locker, leaning my back on the one beside it as I waited for my girlfriend to arrive. Just the thought of that word provoked such a giddy feeling in my chest.