39|| Surprises and Shirts

The final whistle blew and all I could register was the racing beat of my heart as it almost blocked out the resounding cheer of the crowd.

We won. I can't believe we're going to the finals. Holy fuck.

Through the whole game, I was screaming my lungs out at my teammates from the side-lines, receiving many glares from our coach as I often yelled so loud it blocked out her words.

I didn't fucking care. We're going to the finals!

I grinned from the side-lines as my teammates celebrated with hugs as they jumped into arms, proud of them and of what they achieved tonight. Of course, I wished I had been on the field with them to earn the win, but I was still happy nonetheless and couldn't stop smiling.

Hayley and Camilla started running towards us and I grin spilt across my face when they tackled me into a strong hug, quickly followed by the rest of the team as we all formed a giant group hug that filled the air with joy and irrepressible excitement.

"Alright, alright. She still has that sprain so if you want your captain playing in the finals next Friday, you ladies gotta ease up a bit," Coach chided light-heartedly as she beamed with pride.

"I'm healing up," I grinned cheekily then turned to give the interim captain, Hayley, a playful nudge to the shoulder before looking at everyone else too. "You did well out there. You all did. Now, all we gotta do is kick those puny Kingston asses!"

Whoops and yells of encouragement rose at the sound of our rival's name. But soon, all the players dispersed and went to go shake their opponents' hands.

I stood to the side with my arms crossed, smiling. But it slowly faded as my thoughts inevitably drifted back to the events of the past week that have been constant in my mind.

The week has gone by in a blur and it was already Friday. My girlfriend hasn't been talking to me much lately, but it wasn't down to annoyance anymore. She was just tired most days, not only because of the aftermath of the 'event', but she was also being kept busy with the school play that's coming up soon. Gia was also a part of it and has been whining over text about the long rehearsal hours that's been driving her mad.

With everything that has been happening, I thought it would be nice to get away for a bit with my girlfriend. The plans that I set up for tomorrow have to go flawlessly because Leah deserves that one night of peace, with absolutely no stress or trouble. Gia was more than happy to help me out with everything too - practically demanded it, truthfully.

Speaking of which, my red-headed friend came bounding down the bleachers with Zach so we could leave the field together.

"That was a fun game to watch! And that one goal at the end by Olivia... I'm glad we actually have a good team to make high school soccer entertaining," she jokingly remarked.

"Hey!" I shoved her shoulder lightly, mock offended but I couldn't help but grin.

"I mean, you gotta admit there's a lot of passing just going on. Now basketball - that's way more exciting," Zach shrugged innocently with a stupid smirk on his face. I hit him lightly over the head at that. "Ack!"

"You can't say anything about this. You're biased!"

"She was the one who said it was boring!"

Gia raised her palms up in defence. "All I said was their team makes it entertaining." I rolled my eyes at the two idiots as we continued walking at a slow pace so I wouldn't strain my ankle. Gia casually slung her arm around my shoulders. "By the way, have you talked with Leah about your date tomorrow?"