30|| Spontaneity and Desire

I’ll just put this out there. I’m not the type of girl who would willingly go to a mall for hours on end just to shop. This was going to last forever, and I’d rather spend my time on something else, something useful; like bingeing shows on Netflix.

But unfortunately, I had no choice in the matter and was currently being dragged to the very large building against my will.

“I don't- wanna- go!”

“Well, too bad. We said we’d meet up with them, and I’m not about to break my word,” my red-headed friend huffed.

“I’m gonna- be so- tired by the end of this,” I whined.

“Stop pulling! Leah's inside waiting for us. You wanna make her wait? Huh?”

Instantly, my struggle ceased at the mention of my girlfriend. Gia finally released her hold on my hand with hesitation, making sure I wouldn’t try to escape. I sighed. “Why did it have to be the mall?”

“I’m not the one who chose. I suggested going to the lake, but everyone was against it.”

“Hey! I didn’t mind the lake,” I protested in defence.

She threw an arm around my shoulder, leading me to the entrance. “That’s why we’re best friends.”

As we entered the air-conditioned space, I sent a quick text to Leah to tell her we’ve arrived. She responded with a store name, and we proceeded to make our way there.

We entered the space filled with faceless mannequins and racks of clothing, all ready to be prodded and touched by strangers’ hands.

“Where are those three…” Gia trailed off, eyes scanning the store.

Making our way through, we finally found them near the back at the hats section, randomly trying some out whilst balancing a heap of clothes on their arms.

“Hey girls!” Gia greeted Riley, Sara and Leah, the trio turning at her voice.

My eyes naturally focused on Leah as she turned, the corner of her lips quirking up into a friendly smile with our approach. I grinned happily in return, my heart fluttering at the sight of her. “Hi bab-” Leah’s eyes instantly widened as she ever so slightly shook her head in warning, hazel eyes darting to Sara who stood next to her. Getting it, I stumbled to correct the slip. “-y elephants.”

I internally banged my head against a wall. Baby elephants? What the heck is wrong with my mind?

“You calling us fat?” Riley joked as she picked out another hat to try on.

“No! I just think you guys are… cute?” Deciding that changing the topic was best, I stumbled on “W-what’ve you guys been up to?”

“We arrived just a couple of minutes ago. You guys should check out the dresses though. I saw some really pretty ones that kinda fit your style,” she mentioned, hefting the bunch of clothes up to prevent them from falling.

“Alright, come on Aly,” Gia said, grabbing ahold of my forearm and pulling me away as I was making my way to my girlfriend’s side. I sent Leah a helpless backward glance with a pout to match. She giggled and canted her head to the side, mouthing something like ‘later’.

“Dresses aren’t my thing, Gia. You know that,” I sighed as we arrived at the racks.

She tsk-ed. “As much as Leah digs your sort-of-tomboyish attires, I think she’d appreciate a sexy dress once in a while.”

“I don’t think I pull off ‘sexy’ that well if I’m honest…”

“What?!” My best friend turned to face me, jaw agape. “Heck no! I can’t believe you still don’t notice how hotness radiates off of you.” My cheeks burned instantly at the compliment. I don’t deal with those well.