38|| Outbursts and Doritos

A/N
[IMPORTANT!!! PLEASE READ BEFORE CONTINUING]

This note is for my readers who've read the last chapter (chapter 37) before this one was published.

You know how I said that I wasn't totally satisfied with the last chapter because something seemed off to me? Well, a reader helped me figure out what it was.

I'VE MADE CHANGES TO THE LAST CHAPTER (37) THAT WILL AFFECT HOW THE STORY CONTINUES.

I want to thank you all for the votes and kind comments and saying the chapter was just fine, but after getting this second opinion, I realised that I really wanted to make this change to the direction.

I know it's a bother, but I HIGHLY suggest going back to read the last chapter. I've changed a few things, and especially Aly's reaction at the end, which will hugely affect how things proceed.

This is my first book and I've made mistakes, but I want to thank you guys so much for your patience and support. Truly, you have no idea how much I appreciate it because it's what keeps me writing ❤❤❤

And shoutout to Nick89_802 for taking the time to reach out and giving me such thoughtful feedback 🤗

AGAIN, READ THE LAST CHAPTER IF YOU'VE READ IT BEFORE THIS ONE WAS PUBLISHED. IT WON'T MAKE SENSE IF YOU DON'T.

LOVE YOU ALL, enjoy :))

____________________

You know that feeling where you want to help someone get through something, but you don’t exactly know how because you think you’ll end up making it worse by saying the wrong thing or not being observant enough to notice what is the right thing?

Well, I’m kinda feeling that right now.

After that encounter with Sara, Leah went about her day as usual.

But what I meant by that was forced smiles and a happy façade, as if her falling out with her best friend hadn’t happened at all.

It felt like I couldn’t do anything to help. Every time I attempted to talk about the event that happened this morning, she would dodge it seamlessly and change the subject.

Maybe she just needed some time, but what if she needed someone there for her now and was just hiding it really well?

Gah, I hate when I overthink.

As we sat in Chemistry, busy doing the class assignment, I glanced at Leah beside me and frowned at the blank look on her face. Her dull eyes were staring at the sheet of paper on our desk, but she might as well be looking through it.

I let my hand brush against hers on the table, getting those dark, distant eyes to look at me.

“Huh?”

“Babe… you alright?”

“It’s fine,” she brushed off, shaking her head as if to clear it and focusing back on the work - or trying to at least.

I sighed and bit my lower lip, leaning closer to her and whispered. “I know you’re not, Leah. It’s okay not to be.”

She rolled her eyes. “Then why’d you ask?”

“Because I know having someone you care about say things like that is hard, and painful,” my sincere gaze stubbornly fixed on her. “You don’t have to push me away to deal with it.”

“That’s not what I’m doing.”

“Then why are you pretending like it didn’t even happen?”