33|| Rumours and Frustrations

A/N

Hi guys, VERY sorry about the late update, but really hope you enjoy this one!

Recap - Isabelle goes to see Alyssa at her school. She doesn't react well initially, but later agrees to meet up to talk.

__________________

Tenseness filled my shoulders, causing an uncomfortable vibration to blanket over me.

My hunched stature caused my eyes to focus on the ground as I walked. To me, it was easier to look at the sole-marked floor rather than the gaze of the ones around me.

Since yesterday’s incident, I haven’t talked to Leah, not even through text. She seemed to not be in the mood to chat after everything that happened. So, I didn’t bother her, letting her have her space as I needed mine.

As I entered the school, I thought it couldn’t have gotten any worse than yesterday, but I assumed wrong. Word must have travelled with time. People now looked to me with speculation instead of confusion. I realised this was undeniably worse.

I tuned out as much as I could, focusing my attention to getting to my locker, then straight to class. But ten steps later, I passed a trio stood to the side. The two girls and boy were whispering but not quiet enough, failing to inconspicuously glance my way.

“I heard she threw a hissy fit because that girl cheated with her boyfriend.”

“No, they said that other girl was her soccer rival or something from another school. Woods must’ve lost to her recently and couldn’t get over it.”

“What a loser, throwing a fit over that...”

“I know, right. Pathetic…”

My head dipped lower. Embarrassment coated my cheeks like paint. I didn’t know if I could handle a whole day of talks like this.

As I tried to shrink my form into a smaller, less noticeable shadow, I realised I was reverting to my old ways. The shyness I thought I had buried away rapidly resurfaced.

I didn’t want the attention; I just wanted to slink back into the background.

Tomorrow was when I’d be seeing Isabelle, and dread slowly ate at me. My heart hiccupped every time I thought of the looming meeting as if telling me to cancel before it’s too late.

Two years without closure, and it all came down to this. You know what, I still have her number. I’ll just cancel now.

I shakily pulled my phone out and went into my contacts, ready to wimp out. Just as my thumb pressed on her name, I felt someone grip my upper arm, immediately tugging me to the side.

Startled, I tried to rip my arm out of their hold, only stopping when I caught the sight of fiery red hair.

“Gia, what?”

She didn’t answer, only continuing to march the short distance back to her opened locker and pulling us to a stop. Releasing her grip, she turned to face me with her forehead creased in concern. “What happened yesterday? I only know bits from Ashton. What did the bitch say? Are you okay? Why didn’t you tell me anything?”

I waved my hands at her to slow down as she bombarded me with too much, too fast. “Slow down, Gia. I’m okay. She just surprised me, that’s all.” Understatement of the year.

“Well then, what did she want?”

“She wanted us to talk, and I agreed to meet up with her tomorrow at Davey’s,” I said quietly.