25|| Pleas and PDA

“Babe- I don’t- I don’t think we should do- do this here,” I tried to mumble out as a pair of soft pink lips kept on interrupting me.

“Shh,” was the only response I received before our ministrations were resumed.

I didn’t exactly want to stop what we were doing but kissing in the empty school hallways minutes before my game, where anyone could walk in and see, wasn’t really what I wanted. Although I admit, this was really hot.

After a few more deep kisses and a hickey on my neck later, we finally stopped as Leah pulled back to catch her breath. I tried to pant out a sentence. “Leah babe… that was… hot and all… but I… gotta get going.”

The dirty blonde pouted slightly, almost convincing me to stay. “Alright, I just wanted to wish you good luck. And don’t score on your own team.”

I laughed, loving the teasing line she’d made a habit to say. “Let’s hope you don’t distract me too much, then.”

As I was about to give her one final peck to the lips, the door that led to the soccer field opened suddenly. Leah immediately pushed off the lockers and away from me, a startled look in her eyes.

“Aly,” I heard. Turning my head with dread, I thankfully realised it was only Olivia standing in the doorway.

I let out a breath of relief. “Hey, Liv. I was just about to go back.”

“The game is starting soon,” was her blank response, before she turned around and headed back outside.

Confusion clouded my mind at her curtness. I turned to see what Leah thought and found her with a contemplative expression as she gazed on from where my teammate was.

She drew her eyes back to me moments later, a tight smile on her lips. “Let’s go, then.”

We made our way out of the building and into the cool night. Tonight’s weather was going to have an effect on our performance, but I hoped the recent training we’ve had would lessen its significant.

My path separated from Leah’s as I stepped onto the pitch, giving her one final smile before I focused on the game ahead. This one was an important one because it was against our rivals, Maryland High, and this match would determine whether or not we would make the playoffs this season.

I approached the bench where the coach and the others were standing, already huddled into a circle. Quickening my pace, I joined them with an apologetic smile. “Sorry, guys.”

Looking to Olivia, she still had that stony expression from before, her eyes focused intently on the others. It almost felt like she didn’t want to even look at me. Since the day of the party, she hasn’t talked to me much besides the usual game talk. I had an inkling in why she was like this, but I didn’t know what to do. Should I say something? Ignore it? What the heck do I do?

I was brought back to focus when I noticed Coach giving me a look of disapproval for being late, but nonetheless continued her speech. “Alright, listen up. We all know this team is a hard one to beat, but don’t let that fact daunt you. We can’t afford to lose our concentration, so play your hardest like any other match.”

The rest of her speech was filled with tactical advice and points to be wary of. Soon, ten other players stepped onto the pitch with me, all pumped and ready for the game ahead. As we got into position, I could hear Lindsey mutter out a sentiment I agreed with entirely.

“Let’s kick their asses.”

_________________
Seventy-five minutes into the game and both teams were still scoreless.