48|| Finals and Dances

(A/N - just a heads up, this one's a long one)

__________________

Everything felt like it was in slow-motion.

Locker doors banged against their metal frames. Laughs erupted from small groups gathered in the corners of the room. Teammates were putting on their cleats as they did their pre-game rituals to ready themselves.

I noticed it all as if it were playing out slowly for me to see, hear, and experience. This was the last game I’d be playing with these girls and I found myself filled with sentimental warmth as I sat there on my metal seat.

The electric-charged air enveloped the locker room as my teammates prepared themselves for the game with nervous excitement. Music filled the place and beat through our bodies, helping us to get into the right ‘zone’ before we stepped onto the field.

The finals were here.

I felt a presence settle beside me, snapping me out of my daze as I looked to see Liv there with a small smile curling her lips.

“You okay, Aly?”

Taking out the remaining earbud that was plugged in my ear, I returned her smile. “Yeah, I’m good. Just taking it in.” I sighed. “I’m gonna miss playing with these girls.”

“Me too,” she echoed, also sighing as she took in the room.

My eyes subconsciously drifted around to spot my close friends on the team – Lindsey, Camilla, and Hayley. As seniors, this was also going to be their last game at this place, and I could tell they were also trying to make the most of it as they mingled about and goofed off with the other players. I caught Hayley’s eyes as her gaze passed over me and shared a small, genuine smile with my friend from across the room.

“Not gonna miss those two though,” Liv remarked as she eyed April and Kacey in the corner, both of them still moping about getting kicked off of the starting eleven.

I snorted out a laugh, wholeheartedly agreeing to her sentiment. Nudging the brunette slightly, I got her to look at me. “I’m going to really miss playing with you too, Liv.”

Her eyes softened as she smiled. “Me too, Aly. Me too.”

She held my gaze for a bit longer than normal, and I was starting to feel a bit awkward. The bang of a door sounded out and she quickly jerked her head away, the tips of her ears turning a light shade of pink.

“Alright, ladies! Gather ‘round,” Coach called as she stood by the door. I put away my earphones and went to join the gathering girls as they formed a rough circle around the woman, pretending not to notice Olivia shaking her head at herself from the corner of my eye.

Coach started on our pre-game talk, going over the points to be careful of, what to look out for in the other team and etcetera, etcetera. It was the usual stuff, but as she got to the end of her speech, she changed its tune.

“Girls, this is the game that really counts. It’s the one we gotta win, no matter the cost. For our school, for ourselves, and for the players that will be playing their last match with us tonight.” She met the eyes of the seniors in the group. “We’ve trained too long and too hard for this moment, so let’s make it worth it.” Ackerman let a smile slip through. “Make me proud, ladies.”

Yells and whoops echoed around the room as a determined air filled the atmosphere.

We were about to break and head off when Camilla called out. “Speech from cap!”