46|| Disappointments and Bewilderment

I was completely in awe of Olivia. As was Olivia herself.

A stunned silence blanketed the room for a few moments as we all watched her leave. It was not until a couple of seconds later that I kicked into action and jogged after the girl.

I caught up to her at the edge of the field, seeing her standing there with her arms loosely propped on her waist as her head tilted up to the sky.

Stopping by her side, I looked at her with probably the same look of awe still there. I just couldn’t believe that the girl just did that.

The brunette puffed out a breath of air. “Holy crap, what did I just do…”

As I watched her stand there with utter awe for herself, I couldn’t stop the laugh from bursting between my lips. “Dude, you just came out like a fucking boss! That was so damn cool!”

Liv glanced at me in disbelief. But soon after, a laugh erupted from her too. “Yeah, that was pretty badass, huh? And did you see the look on their faces?!” That just made us laugh even harder.

When we calmed down, she palmed her forehead as air whistled out of her mouth. “But seriously, I can’t believe that just happened. Those two started yelling and before I knew it, I was screaming at their faces.”

“I loved how you just didn’t care about what they would think. You just did it.”

“Well, I wasn’t exactly thinking at all…”

I paused. “Do you regret it?”

She was quick to reply. “No, no. Not at all. I just wasn’t expecting that that was how I’d come out to the team.”

“Yeah, like a freaking queen.”

She shoved me lightly in the side as I teased her. “Stooop! I just wanted to kick them back into place. The rest of it just came out.”

“Ha! I see what you did there.”

“Oh my gosh, Aly! You’re so annoying!”

I giggled even more as she tried to shove me away, but I could see the humour in her eyes. I’ve missed this banter with her. It’s been a long time since we’ve been around each other like this. Probably since the beginning of last semester.

We stopped when we noticed the other girls heading towards us from the changing rooms, deciding to settle down for our warm-up stretches instead.

From our position near the edge of the group, I could see Kacey and April glaring our way from the other side, but since Liv didn’t pay it any mind, I chose not to too.

“For real though, Liv, it was amazing to see,” I said, lowering my voice. She smiled softly in return. “Although I was just wondering, what about your boyfriend?”

“Boyfriend?” her brows furrowed in confusion as she reached out to touch her toes. “Oh, you mean the guy from before? That didn’t last long. He was kind of a jerk too, to be honest.”

“So… gay?”

“No, bi. More towards girls though.”

I smirked as I changed stretches. “You know, I suspected.” Her eyes whipped to me with suspicion.

“Really now? How?”

I gave her a knowing look. “I think you know how.”

With that, I stood back up on my feet just as Coach approached to start practice. Olivia followed my lead and faced away from me, but I could still see the hint of pink staining her cheeks.