4|| Spilt Teas and Comfy Jackets

No one will ever catch me admitting this to anyone, but to be honest with you, that hurt my little ego a bit.

I'm not one of the most popular people at school, and my shyness doesn't help me any in that regard. But I'm a soccer captain, and it's led to me being recognised sometimes without any previous introduction.

Well, Alex does sound a bit like Alyssa. I guess I'll count that as a win?

"I-It's Alyssa, actually. Aly works too. And y-yeah, I go to Longman. I think I'm in your Chem class too," I nervously stuttered out, my shyness kicking in. I don't think, I know I'm in her Chem class, but I don't want to sound like a creep. That's just...Bleh.

Her expression first exhibited confusion, then those hazel eyes perked up as she seemed to remember. "Right! Sorry, Alyssa. And oh yeah, from today! The one that nearly knocked me on my ass," she chuckled amusedly, her smile reaching her eyes.

The other girl was looking between us, puzzled, before she spoke up. "Wait, you two know each other?"

"No!" I exclaimed without thought, feeling a heart rising in my cheeks right after as I realised how loud I was. "No. We're just in the same class," I repeated in a more composed manner, tucking my hands into my pockets.

Leah, in the meantime, was gazing at me with a look of curiosity, and what I thought were thoughtful eyes. She tucked a strand of her dirty blonde hair behind her ear, and I couldn't help but follow her hand movements before gazing back at her hazel eyes that were focused on mine. For a moment, it felt like I was in a trance and I couldn't look away even if I tried.

Suddenly, the moment was broken when the other girl spoke up. "Eh, same thing. But sorry again for what happened, I shouldn't have been on the phone. I'm Lena by the way, Leah's sister. Do you have anything else to change into? I feel terrible," she said, genuinely looking apologetic for what had happened.

I waved it off airily. "I'm fine, it was an accident. I have clothes in my car, but I'm heading home after this anyway. It's okay."

"Are you sure? It's getting pretty windy outside. I have a jacket in my car. I can go get it."

Before I could refuse, someone else spoke up. "You can have mine."

I looked to Leah to see her taking off her denim jacket, with the inside lined with faux fur, holding it out for me to take.

My mouth opened to refuse, but her insistent eyes were what made me pause, convincing my hesitant hands to take it from her. I slowly put it on, instantly bombarded by her strong lavender scent, overpowering even the coffee smell in the shop.

I looked to her with gratitude, still feeling a little shy around her. "Thanks," I said in a small voice, not sure if she even heard me.

"No worries, just return it to me at school some time," she gave me a subtle wink and a small smile before she followed her sister out the door, who called out another sorry behind before leaving.

I was left standing there blushing and pondering what that wink meant. Was it just a friendly wink? Or did it mean something more... suggestive? It can't be, she doesn't even know I'm gay. It must be my crush deluding my thoughts and making me see things that aren't there. It was definitely just friendly. I was sure of it.

"Alex, here's your drink," my boss said as she put my coffee on the counter, trying to hide the smile creeping on her face.

I narrowed my eyes at her and trudged my way back, a pout on my lips as I pulled the jacket closer to cover the evident stains. "Jem, why didn't you help? I was dying from embarrassment!"