16|| Games and Girlfriends

Nerves were running wild through my body. My heart felt like it was beating at hyper speed at the moment. I could feel sweat running down my forehead and a beat like a drum in my ears. I couldn't keep still, and the game hasn't even started yet.

Taking my earphones out, I could still hear the loud punk rock song playing, the music having done its job in pumping me up for the game.

The locker room was rowdy; the usual pregame mood. Some of my teammates were dancing to the music playing from the speakers, hyping the others up, while others, like me, had their earbuds in listening to the music of their own tastes. It was all around an electric atmosphere, perfect for game day.

Looking at the clock, I realised it was almost time to head out. I stood on a bench and called for everyone's attention.

"Alright, ladies. Listen up!" The girls settled down, taking out their earphones or quieting the music to hear me. "Today's game may seem simple since it's just against Ormond High." Some of the girls grunted at the name, dismissing the challenge they presented. "Yes, we've won against them a couple of times already, but that does not give us any reason to let our guard down. We will treat them like any other competition we've played against. Hard or not. And no matter what, we play our best because that's the competition and game they deserve." Words of agreement travelled around. Satisfied, I jumped down from the bench. "Now let's get out there and WIN!"

Roars of cheers echoed around the locker room, sounds of slamming locker doors and yells filled with spirit bouncing off the walls. Pride filled in my chest at the sight of this team. This was a team I was proud to play with, proud to represent.

Coach came in and called for us to head out, already having briefed us on the game plans and strategies a couple of minutes ago. The team jogged out with vigour and fervour emanating from them, all of us feeding off of each others energy.

As we neared the field, I could hear the distant chanting of the crowd, it's effect spanning to the point where I felt a rumble under my cleats. Stepping out into the open, I could see the fading sunlight slowly disappear from the sky, leaving colours of orange and pink to lightly smudge the edges of each cloud.

Taking a deep breath in, I let the cool November air traverse the canals of my lungs, energizing my limbs even further. The small moment of tranquillity I let myself soak up was broken too soon by the rising cheers of the crowd that had noticed our arrival.

Plastering a smile on my face, I led the team out onto the field and to our bench as the girls grinned and waved at their friends in the stands. I looked in that direction myself, scanning the crowd for a few familiar faces I wanted to see, one in particular...

Stopping in the middle of the stands, I spotted a crazy redhead waving her arms like a maniac as I heard her scream "YOU GOT THIS" from where I stood, while a calmer black-haired boy tried to prevent the girls' flailing arms from hitting anyone nearby. Unfortunately, he failed when the girl was able to smack Zach right in the face. A genuine smile now took over as I waved their way, loving my crazy friends and their enthusiastic support.

Moving on, my eyes continued on their search for a certain girl, only catching sight of her when I saw the dirty blonde waving my way further down the stands. Even from where I stood, her grin shone so brightly and beautifully, and now all I wanted to do was continue to stare in awe. But I had a role to play, but damn was it so hard to concentrate on that right now.

The hazel-eyed beauty gestured for me to come closer, almost seductively, as she got up from her seat and headed down the stairs, squeezing past her confused friends that stayed seated. Seeing that we still had time, I jogged over briskly to meet her by the barrier. I didn't care what other people thought at that moment. I just wanted to hear her personally wish me luck.