that damn mask

At some point the both of you dozed off, you didn't remember when or how but you woke up to a half finished puzzle and the sound of Splendy's quiet snoring as well as the gentle thud of his heartbeat, your head rested on his chest and his arms layed around your waist lazily as he slept, your gaze traveled up his wrinkled shirt and too his face, only to be disappointed by the now oh-so-annoying sight of that damned burlap mask, you would stare for a moment, gently prodding his chest and waiting for his next snore to be sure he was solidly asleep before pulling yourself up gently and grasping at the strings which held the mask on around his neck, he would stir slightly as you tugged them loose and you paused, waiting for him to settle and having a moment of hesitation, would he be mad if you peeked at his face without his permission? Was it worth it? But He seemed so sweet you didnt believe he could be mad enough to do anything bad to you...and you just really wanted to know, you were so lost in thought for a moment that you didn't realize he had stopped snoring, you lifted the edge of the mask slightly, catching a glimpse of pale lips which were formed into a small frown before your wrist was suddenly grabbed causing you to yelp "what are you doing Y/N?" Splendy questioned quietly "I...I don't know I just, I want to see your face, I want to know who you are, I want to see you smile" you answered in a trembling voice "I dont care what you look like, that doesn't matter to me" you would add, earning a long pause from Splendy "if you don't care what I look like then why do you want to see my face so bad?...bad enough to try something like this?" He continued to question "I don't know, I guess I just want to be able to look into your eyes, to interact with you, face to face, see your emotion" you answered, stumbling over words as you tried to explain but he seemed to understand, nodding slowly and then sighing, gripping the edge of the mask before pausing "promise you won't get scared?" You would nod, scared?, you didn't know what to expect now but there was no way you could've expected what you saw when that damned mask finally came off...the face drawn on the mask wasn't actually too far off, no ears, no nose, no hair, not even eyebrows, just two pitch black dots staring back at you under a brow furrowed with worry, though his mouth was pressed into a thin line rather than the wide smile of the mask, you stared for a while with wide eyes and despite the ambiguity of the two pitch dark dots that sat where eyes should have been you could tell he wasn't looking directly at you "wow" you mumbled, reaching out to touch his cheek just to be sure what you were seeing was real, sure enough your fingertips landed on soft skin, not latex or rubber "you're so..." He would cringe slightly at your words, seemingly preparing for some sort of insult and not prepared at all for the word that came out of your mouth next "adorable.." His eyes opened wide and he finally looked at you, a light pink tint to his pale cheeks "adorable?!" He questioned with a tone of surprise "adorable?" He repeated to himself "I've never gotten that one before...its usually something like 'OH MY GOD WHERE IS YOUR FACE??' You really think I'm adorable?!" He questioned as you giggled quietly at his surprise, observing as he spoke that the inside of his mouth was similar to a void, pitch black with nothing inside to discern depth, once you pulled your attention away from the oddity you spoke "yes, adorable" you giggled "you look like an emoticon" he gave a sweet smile which made your heart melt "I have no idea what that is but I'm taking it as a compliment" he stated, hugging you and chuckling quietly, seeming quite happy with your response.