Chapter Twenty

"So do you have something planned for me today? It is my birthday, in case you forgot" Naomi mentioned.
"No I didn't forget, it's just I'm so sorry but I won't be here to celebrate your birthday. I have a school trip that starts today and it lasts for a few days. I would definitely skip it if I could but it's mandatory and if I don't go I'll fail the class and would have to take it next year and I don't have time for it next year and..."
"Relax, it's fine. It's disappointing but I get that you have to go"
"So you're not mad?" Nini asked.
"No of course not. I'll just spend the day alone"

||

Naomi spent a few hours at the mall, shopping for clothes and stuff and now she was outside of her apartment. Once she got inside the whole place was lit up;

There was a trail of string lights going to the living room

There was a trail of string lights going to the living room. When she walked there she saw a remote control for the stereo laying on the ground with a note saying to press play. She pressed play and one of her favorite songs started.

She put the remote on the coffee table and that's when she saw the polaroids hanging from the strings; there were pictures of her and Nini. Every polaroid had a text written in the back. She looked through all of them while the music played in the background. She couldn't help but cry from time to time. She was almost done looking through all of the polaroids. The last one was the most heartbreaking; It was a picture of her and Mark from Christmas a few years back. She still remembers it like it was yesterday;

"Mark, stop taking pictures of me, I look ugly today" Naomi complained as she decorated the tree.
"But I wanna remember this moment. Besides you never look ugly"
"Why do you wanna remember this?" She chuckled.
"Because next year we're going to college and stuff"
"So? Are you afraid to lose me or something?" She joked.

Mark stayed silent and sat down. She noticed the change in his expression. She walked over to him.

"Hey, you have nothing to worry about. I will always be your best friend"
"Yeah..."
"What if we take one more picture of the two of us and then get back to decorating the tree?" She suggested.
"Okay" He smiled as he raised the camera and took a selfie of the two of them.

||

She wiped off her tears as she came back to reality. She turned the picture around and it said:

'Happy Birthday
-Mark'