Part 4

Same day afternoon, the match maker was showing prospective bride's photos to one of the prospective groom's mom at the house where Nyonika was staying.

        When the match maker was showing the pictures, one of the photos fell on the ground and Nyonika picked it up.

        Nyonika : "She is Nandini, isn't it?"

        Match maker : "Yes."

        Prospective groom's mom : "How do you know her?"

        Nyonika : "I met her at the temple. She is a very nice girl - very polite and caring."

        Nyonika gave the photo to the match maker and the prospective groom's mom began to ask the match maker about Nandini.

        Match maker : "She is a nice girl, she has studied till 12th. Her parents passed away when she was little and she is staying with her paternal family. Her family wants to get her married soon, but you won't get as much dowry as you are expecting from them."

        Prospective groom's mom : "No parents and not enough dowry too. I don't want to go ahead with this then. Show me some other photos."

        Nyonika didn't like what the prospective groom's mom said. She also felt bad knowing that Nandini had lost her parents.

        Nyonika : "It isn't her fault that her parents are no more. Also, taking dowry is against the law."

        Prospective groom's mom : "May be, but I am not interested in such a charity case. If you wish to, you could see her for your son. You have a son of marriageable age too."

        The prospective groom's mom continued to look at other photos and Nyonika began to think over what she said.

        Nyonika's thoughts : "I haven't thought of looking for a bride for Manik so far, but Nandini is a good looking, polite and caring girl. She not only saved me, but also dropped me to the car though she had to walk down the stairs and climb all the way up again. She was even ready to leave her work and drop me home. If she cares so much for a stranger, then she would care a lot more for her family. People like her, who care for others without any expectations, are rare to find. If I let her go now, her family might get her married to someone else. I may not be able find someone like her in the future."

        Nyonika started to contemplate from Manik's standpoint.

        Nyonika's thoughts : "Manik is still studying, but he has completed his bachelor's. It is not that he has to complete studies, find a job and start earning to get married and take care of a family. He can continue with his studies even after getting married."

        Nyonika's thoughts : "He doesn't like the village environment, but he doesn't have to stay here. She will come with us after marriage, but will he like her? The girls in his group are a lot different from Nandini. Nandini is simple and they are ultra modern."

        Nyonika's thoughts : "How will I know without trying? It is not necessary that he will look for the same qualities in his life partner as he sees in his friends. Manik wants to go back immediately after this wedding, so if I want to give it a try, it has to be now . If things work out fine, we can support Nandini in pursuing her dreams too."

        Nyonika decided that she has to at least give it a try and spoke to the match maker.

        Nyonika : "Can we meet Nandini and her family tomorrow?"

        Match maker : "Sure, I will let them know."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Nyonika began to discuss about the alliance with Manik and her husband, Raj.

        Nyonika : "Manik I have seen a girl for you. I want you to meet her tomorrow..."

        Manik : "Mom hold on. Are we here to attend my cousin's marriage or to initiate talks about my marriage?"

        Nyonika : "Of course, we are here for your cousin's wedding, but after I met this girl, I felt that she would be perfect for our family and I don't want to let go of her... "

        Manik : "You started thinking of getting me married, just because you like her. You didn't even ask me if I am ready for it. How can you do this to me mom?"

        Nyonika : "Have I ever forced my choice on you? I just want you to meet her and get to know her. We will proceed further only if you like her and if you are ready to accept her as your life partner."

        Manik : "Mom, why should I even meet her when I don't want to get married now. I am yet to complete my studies, then why are you in a hurry?"

        Nyonika : "You have already finished your bachelor's and marriage isn't going to be a hindrance to your studies. You can continue with your master's. We aren't going to get you married tomorrow itself. If we start looking for a girl now, it will take time to find someone you like. Even after that it will take time for things to materialize and reach the wedding phase. See your cousin's case itself, it took so long to find a suitable bride for him."

        The discussion went on for some more time, but Manik wasn't able to convince Nyonika.

        Manik's thoughts : "How do I convince mom? Shall I tell her about Alya? Mom doesn't like her much. If I tell her about Alya, then she might persuade me to get married now itself. I won't be able to go against her. It is better to go with what mom says. I will meet the girl, but I will reject the alliance. The matter will be resolved for now, I can think about the rest later."

        Manik : "Okay mom, I will do as you say."

        Manik's thoughts : "I will have to find a good and valid reason to reject the alliance."

        Nyonika's thoughts : "Hope he likes her and agrees for the alliance."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        The match maker conveyed the information to Nandini's family. Nandini was upset with how things were going. She tried to convince her grandmother, but it was of no use. Her grandmother and her family told her that she was lucky to get such a good alliance and they wouldn't want to let go of it. Nandini was thinking about her miserable situation and went to sleep with the same thoughts.

        Nandini is wearing a beautiful sari and she is adorned with jewelry. Her family took her to the mandap (wedding dais), made her kneel on the floor and told her to bow her head. Beside her, there was a person who was holding a sword in his hand. Nandini was pleading, but no one showed mercy on her. The sword came down swishing through the air and landed on Nandini's neck. This brought Nandini out of her nightmare.

        She had visualized herself in place of a scapegoat (Bali ka bakra) that was being sacrificed. The reason for such a nightmare was that her family had already decided that they would go ahead with the alliance, if the prospective groom's side gave their approval.

        Nandini strongly believed that marriage would put an end to her dreams. Her dreams of pursuing her studies meant a lot to her. Now, her future was no longer in her hands. It was at the mercy of the prospective groom's family. She couldn't sleep after that and spent a restless night thinking of how to resolve her issue.