Part 43

Next day, Manik didn't meet Nandini like he always did. He wanted to check if staying away from him, would matter to her or not. At the same time, he couldn't stay without seeing her. Manik also wanted to make sure that he is there for her if needed. So he stood at a distance where he could see her, but she couldn't see or feel him. Nandini called Manik on the phone.

         Nandini : "Where are you? I am waiting at our usual place."

        Manik : "I have some important work, so I won't be able to meet you today."

        Manik didn't talk much and disconnected the call. Nandini took out a book to study and opened it, but instead of studying she started thinking.

       Nandini : "He didn't talk much. He might have been busy, or may be he is still upset with me because of yesterday."

       Nandini : "He will get busier in the future and I will have to be on my own. I will have to get used to this. Everything will get back to how it was earlier. By the way, what was I doing before I got used to being with him?"

        She had got so used to him being around her that she was finding it difficult to remember what she had been doing in the past. She was frustrated.

        Manik was observing her with a binocular, so he could figure out that something was bothering her. He didn't expect that him not being with her would affect Nandini on the first day itself.

        Manik : "What could she be thinking about? I disconnected the call early too. What if there is some serious issue that is bothering her? Should I go and check? .. She might call if she needs help. .. or she may not because I told her I have important work."

        Manik : "I can't see her like this. I wanted to stay away from her for a few days and check whether it will impact her or not, but it is affecting me instead. It's better to go and find out what it is. I don't have to do this right now, I can try this some other time."

        Manik went to where Nandini was.

        Nandini : "You were telling that you won't be able to meet today."

        Manik : "That work got postponed. What were you doing?"

        Nandini : "I was reading."

        Manik looked at her book.

        Manik : "You didn't tell me that you had the talent of reading a book upside down."

        Nandini : "I can't..."

        He showed her the book which was upside down.

        Manik : "So tell me what were you thinking?"

        Nandini didn't want to bother him with what was going on in her mind.

        Nandini : "Leave that.. you tell me..."

        Manik : "Is there a problem? If there is one, you know that two heads are always better than one, right?"

        Nandini : "There is an issue, but it is inevitable. There is no point thinking about it because there is no solution, so leave that aside."