Part 15

Thank you all for your votes and comments! It always motivates me to continue writing. Hope you continue to enjoy the story!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All these days, it was more of a coincidence that Manik saw or met Nandini. He wasn't sure why, but he had tried to help her in small ways. His self imposed constraints of not helping someone outside his family or friend circle, restricted him from going any further.

        After Manik came to know that Nandini had saved his mom, he let go of the restrictions in Nandini's case. He made a conscious attempt to look for her when he was in the campus common areas, though he never met up with her.

        On one such occasion, Manik saw Nandini standing under a tree at a distance. She started climbing the tree. It seemed odd to him. From his past experience with her, he felt that Nandini thought and acted differently from others he knew, so he went to check on her. He wanted to make sure she was safe. By the time he reached there, she was sitting on a branch and looking around. He couldn't figure out what she was up to.

        Manik : "What are you doing up there?"

        Nandini : "I am thinking .."

        What she said didn't make sense to him.

        Manik : "Wow! What a unique place you have found to think! Didn't you find any other place in the whole campus? Anyways, what are you thinking about?"

        Nandini started explaining what she was doing there.

        Nandini : "It's not like that. I didn't come here to think. I found an egg that had fallen down from the nest. Luckily, it didn't break. So I thought of putting it back, before it gets crushed under someone's foot. When I came here, I found that there are more eggs in the nest and the nest isn't stable. I am planning to break a few small branches to support the nest. So I was thinking as to how to reach the smaller branches from here."

        Manik didn't understand why she was taking so much efforts for a small egg, but he didn't question her.

        Manik : "Stay there. Don't move. I will get them for you."

        Manik looked around. He found a small tree, whose branches he could reach easily from the ground. He broke them and gave it to Nandini. Nandini used them to provide support for the nest and she got down from the tree easily.

        Manik : "I didn't know what you were up to. I came here thinking that you may need assistance, but you seem to be proficient in climbing and getting down the tree."

        Nandini : "Back home, I used to climb trees often to pluck fruits, so I have a little practice. It was still good that you came, you made my work easier."

        Manik observed that Nandini's dress had torn and pointed it out to her. Nandini covered her skin immediately with the torn part in one hand and started rummaging in her bag using the other hand.

        Manik : "Tell me what you are looking for, I will get it out for you."

        Nandini : "I have safety pins in a box."

        Manik got one big box out of the bag and was about to open it.

        Nandini : "Not this, this is the first aid one, the smaller one."

        Manik got the other box and gave her the safety pins. She pinned the torn part of her dress.

        Manik : "Why are you carrying such a big first aid box in your bag? Did you change your mind? Do you want to become a doctor now?"