Part 17

Nyonika asked Nandini why she didn't want to meet Manik.

        Nandini : "I was taken aback when I came to know that he is the lead singer of Fab6. I had asked Manik if he knew Fab6, but he didn't tell me that he was one of them. I told him everything what my friend told me about him and his group, including all of the bad things. So I didn't know how to face him at that instant .. but then I realized he didn't even get angry at me in spite of everything I told him."

        Nandini's thoughts : "According to what Navya told he shouldn't have spared me, but he comforted me immediately afterwards and also helped me a few times after that incident."

        Nandini : "It is like I know him .. but I really don't know him .. I mean what I heard about him and what I know about him doesn't match completely. I am kind of confused, so I need sometime to clear my mind before meeting him."

        Nyonika : "What bad things did your friend tell you about him?"

        Nandini : "Leave it, Aunty. She told me things which she heard at her college hostel, but Manik isn't like that at all. The girls at the hostel might have misunderstood. You know right Aunty, how information gets altered when it passes on from one person to another. Gossips often leads to misconceptions."

        Nyonika realized that she had missed something more important.

        Nyonika : "Manik met you at your college, he knew you were here and he didn't tell me. When did you meet him?"

        Nandini : "I first met him on the first day of college. One senior tried to rag on me and Manik helped me out."

        Nyonika : "He helped you out?! Are you talking about my Manik? He doesn't help anyone other than family or friends. Did he, by any chance, become friends with you?"

        Nandini : "Why are you asking like that Aunty? I don't know any other Manik other than him. He told me that he doesn't make friends outside his group. We aren't friends. May be, you can tell that he is my savior. He has helped me in some way or the other almost every time I met him."

        Nyonika : "And how many times is that?"

        Nandini : "Hmm.. let me think..1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. 5.. I think 5-6 times."

        Nyonika : "I can't believe it."

        Cabir (to himself) : "Even I can't believe it."

        Cabir remembered what he had come there for, so he came inside the dining room.

        Nyonika : "Come, I was wondering how come you are not here yet."

        Nyonika served Cabir.

        Nyonika : "Nandini, shall I give you some more?"

        Nandini : "Yes, Aunty. It is very yummy. Give me the recipe too. I can prepare it at home whenever I want to. I can't drop in here every time I feel like eating it."

        Nyonika : "I will give you the recipe. You can also drop in whenever you feel like."

        Cabir : "Aunty, some more for me too."