Part 6

Manik explained what he didn't like about the village. He had just finished speaking and the power went out.

        Manik : "See, this is what I was talking about."

        Manik began to perspire again. Nandini got up from her place and pulled out a cord. She started moving it with her hand. Manik felt breeze over his head and looked upwards. The cord she was holding was connected to a large fan made of fabric which was hanging from the ceiling. Manik felt better.

        Meanwhile, Nandini thought of everything Manik said. She knew he is from Mumbai and she had heard a lot about Mumbai from her teacher. Though she hadn't personally used the internet, cellphone or A.C, she had a general knowledge of what they are, and how they work. She was a curious girl by nature and her teacher encouraged her. He either explained things to her or provided resources which helped her understand them.

        Nandini : "I think you are trying to compare our village with your city in terms of the facilities available in the city. I agree that our village isn't well developed like your city. You don't have access to the internet and phone at your fingertips, but there are telephone booths available if you want to talk to someone."

        Nandini : "Internet isn't a necessity for people living here, but there is an Internet cafe in the town, which isn't that far from here. It isn't this hot here always. When there is a power cut, we use a handheld fan (the one made of cloth). If you don't want to use it, you can get a small battery operated fan from the town which tourists use. I don't know how long it will last, but it will probably be sufficient for you since you are staying here for a short time."

        Nandini : "There are positive aspects of our village too. It is very peaceful here. There is no pollution, so you get to breathe fresh air. The food you get here is in the freshest form. There is greenery everywhere. Nature is pretty much untouched by mankind. Actually there is a place here that people feel is close to heaven on earth. Do visit if you get a chance. It will definitely give you a reason to like our village. Looking at our village from a different perspective, may help in making rest of your stay here pleasant."

        One of Nandini's cousins came to call them down and then she left.

        Nandini : "Have you thought of a reason to give, to reject the alliance?"

        Manik : "Not yet."

        Nandini had spent all her time thinking of all the possible options to get the alliance rejected,  so she put forward what she thought  was the best reason.

        Nandini : "You can tell whatever you feel like, however, I have a suggestion. You are from the city. My grandmother told me that you are from a wealthy family and you are well educated too. The simplest reason you could give is that after meeting me you figured out that there is a wide gap between our lifestyles and education status too, so ours isn't a suitable match. Both my family and your parents will have to agree to it and they won't have any reason to doubt us."

        Manik : "I will think over it."

        Then Nandini thought of how Nyonika would feel when she comes to know the outcome of the meeting.  She already knew her family would be disappointed, but she had no choice. Her dreams were important to her. She had already explained it to her family, but it was of no use.

        Nandini : "One more thing, I don't have any right to interfere in your personal matter, but I have an advice. Your mom is very sweet and she loves you a lot. You should at least try to tell your mom about your girlfriend. I  think she will understand if you explain. Then she wouldn't have to take efforts to find a suitable match for you or get disappointed when you reject it. It might also free you from such situations in the future."

        Manik : "You tried explaining to your mom, didn't you? Did she listen to you?"

        Nandini : "If my parents were with me and I had a chance to explain to them, may be they would have listened, but they aren't with me."

        Manik : "Where are they then?"

        Nandini pointed to her parents photo which was garlanded.

        Manik : "I am sorry.... I didn't know. I didn't pay much attention to my mom when she was talking about the alliance."

        Nandini : "That's alright. I am sorry too. Once something comes to my mind, I can't keep it to myself. I shouldn't have..."

        Manik : "Hey .. I didn't mean to offend you. You are right in a way, I have to tell mom sooner or later."

        Manik : "Time to leave then. All the best for your future plans!"

        Nandini : "Thank you! All the best to you too!"

        Nyonika told Nandini's family that she will talk to Manik and let them know about their decision. Malhotra family left from Nandini's house.

        Manik felt that Nandini had suggested a convincing reason, so he gave the same reason to Nyonika. Nyonika informed Nandini's family that they won't be able to go ahead with the alliance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Days were passing by. Nandini got the scholarship and her teacher visited Nandini's house to talk to Nandini's grandmother.

        Teacher : "Nandini is a brilliant girl. She has got scholarship in almost all the colleges we tried for, including the prestigious college in Mumbai, which isn't easy. Please give your approval so that she can pursue her studies. Don't confine her to this village and let her talent go waste."

        Nandini : "Please agree Grandma! You know how much I want to study. Now you don't have to worry about the financial aspect of my education too. Please grandma!"

        Grandma : "Money isn't the only concern dear. How can I let you go and stay alone at a place where we don't know anyone? You are still naive, how will you manage alone?"

        Teacher : "I was staying at Mumbai before I moved here, so I have good friends there. I will talk to them and make arrangements to accommodate her in a good family. You won't have to worry about it. She will get to study in one of the best colleges too then. I just need your approval to go ahead."

        Nandini's grandmother agreed to let her pursue her studies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Meanwhile, at Manik's house, Nyonika gave Manik an envelope.

        Nyonika : "Here, take these photos and look at them. Let me know your choice."

        Manik : "What do you want me to choose, Mom?"

        Nyonika : "You didn't like the girl I chose because she didn't match your lifestyle and your education status, so I have got the photos of girls who match your requirements. If you let me know who you like, I can arrange for a meeting."

        Manik was in a fix. He was contemplating whether to tell Nyonika about Alya or not. He remembered Nandini's advice and felt that he should go ahead and tell the truth to his mom. It would be good for his mom as well as him.