Chapter 4: Remember

I stood up and grabbed my things and walked out of the classroom. Was Kaname shook that a girl could play as well as him? Does he suspect that I'm the white wing princess? Oh well, I better get headed to class before I'm late.

Sitting down the teacher entered the room with such a heavy sway. He proceeded to talk about what will be learning over the year. Magic, the two kingdoms, and all the terrible wars that have happened. I watched the marker glide across the board. It made me remember him and the scent of the winter air.

"Dad, where's the snow?" I said as I stood on my tiptoes looking out the window.

"Oh, Layla it's not even Christmas yet." I turned around to see him smiling at me. We always would go outside and play in the snow for hours. I was his little white snow angel. I was my father's little girl.

"Come on dad it's time to play and practice," I say hugging his leg looking up at him with puppy dog eyes.

"Sit down and place your hands on the keys. Close your eyes and find a place of peace then I want you to play from the heart, Layla."

"Okay." I sit down dust off my dress and sit as straight as possible, and close my eyes and see my father tucking me in bed and kissing me goodnight. I giggle to myself because it's funny to have my bed as my place of peace.

"Layla." He said with a gentle voice.

I open my eyes and play, I play for him.

"Layla, could you please stop playing and come sit down on my lap."

I cross my arms and shake my head no. He gives me a smile and I look at him and run into his arms and give him a kiss on the cheek.

"Oh, my little princess. I want you to remember something for me okay." He said with a tear in his eye.

" Oh no, daddy please don't cry. I'll be a good girl, I'll listen."

"I know my little one but one day I'm going to have to leave in order to keep you and your mother safe. Would you be mad at me?"

"No daddy never. I love you. Your a big strong guy and a big poop head." I say with a smile.

"I love you too." He said with a laugh. "You see this piano here. It holds something that's going to make you question life but you'll soon grow to understand it. The keys really do hold a key, Layla never forget our song and the love I have for you."

We played and played and watched the sunset. He came to tuck me and give me a big kiss. He smiled at me and that very smile made me feel safe and loved. I asked him if he could stay with me until I fell asleep. So I moved over and he hopped into bed beside me and said " I hope the stars light your path but how I wish the light was still so far. I know you'll grow to be the woman that changes the world and how lucky your husband to be will be."

"Daddyyy!" I wake from my sleep. Where is he? I ran downstairs to see a tall man at the door. I stared at him and saw the fear in his eyes then it happened. The sharp pain in the back of my head. I fall to my knees. "Daddy." Every morning I woke up waiting for the snow. Just waiting to see him out in the courtyard looking up at my window but he never showed.

"Layla get downstairs it's time for your training to become a proper young lady and get your head out of the clouds will you." Mother yelled from downstairs.

It's been three years now and still every Christmas I wait at my window for him to come back home to me. I quit playing the piano and started to hate music and any little thing he told me. I began to forget my promise. I studied hard to get make my mother proud but she never even smiled. I read and read and read until I finally was done. Then it happened again the sharp pain but this time it was different. He was there my dad but it was cold. The horses were lined up then they took off. The man in all black was headed for my father. Then what little white snow laid on the ground turned red. " Father, please no." I watched the blood scatter over the ground and down went my father. "No daddy." But no matter how much I ran he never seemed to get closer, and after that, I knew my father was never going to come back home. He died because of me. Because of my power. I cried all night and didn't stop until I remembered the promise I made him. The piano! I walk to the piano and sit down and play. I play our song.

"Wait what was that?" I stand up to see the top of the piano had opened. I lift up the top and there it was a small letter. I picked it was and ran to my room as fast as I could and plop down on the bed and opened it. "A necklace?"

"Dear, Layla

The day I am writing this to you is the night I am leaving you behind once again my little one. However, I see you remember our promise. I won't be coming back home to you and your mother. I've seen this day coming for a long time now but no matter what I would do you can't change the future. You'll understand one day but for now, I want you to know we will see each other again and I'll be picking you up and swing you around like the little girl you'll always be but until then I want you to play. Play the piano and feel free and happy. Let your wonders and worries in life go with every key you hit. I believe in you, my daughter. You've always made me proud. Oh and don't worry I'm not crying at all writing this to you. I'm a big strong poop head remember. I love you Layla and to show you my love I give you this necklace. Keep it close to you and you'll always remember. It's time that I go but don't forget you are my little white snow angel. Love, dad"