???

I held my hands against her chest as the blood kept seeping though her chest. Her breaths coming in short and painful gasps as the shock of the situation took hold.

The world was fucked up, that was for sure. But I wouldn't let my one last glimpse of hope die. We were trapped in the back of an old and run down gas station. Our little base. Barricaded and somewhat safe from the elements.

Away from the monsters that used to be humans. Food and supplies were scarce. Hope was the last thing on our minds. Survival was out only priority.

And now she was on the brink of death. The world was never going to deal with a zombie apocalypse. Instead it was going to endure endless heat flares, toxic air, poison and often acidic rain.

It was the end of everything. The sun gradually getting smaller by the years. Previous scientists believed it was going to supernova, others thought it would turn into a black hole, effectively swallowing our galaxy whole.

But those scientists died, along with seven eights of the world's population.

Those who were lucky enough to survive the acid rain and relentless heat were no longer human, instead they were husks of what they used to be, charred, marred, and deadly.

The air was getting thinner, as were we. Her blood was staining my hands as my tears flowed freely down my face, my attempts to staunch her wound fruitless. I stared into her eyes, her beautiful hazel eyes as she gently grabbed my face and leaned my tear ridden face against her own.

I kissed her as she gradually became colder, her face set in a sad smile, as she died in my arms, the large puncture in her chest revealing her no longer beating heart. And I broke. My last shred of hope gone with her.

Finding the nearest safe settlement was the only hope I had left. I pushed myself away from her body, her blood staining my hands as I retrieved what little weapons we had shared that she had.

It was torturous, preparing to leave without her but what else was there?

Jessica was gone. And it was all my fault.

-Mitchell Hughes Log 1,475