Chapter 8

-Sasuke-

My head hurts. It started hurting the second we started to travel to the North hideout where our last team member was at. The cause of my headache: Karin, Suigetsu and their non stop bickering. They haven’t stopped since we started walking. I can feel my head about to explode. I turned to see how Hina was doing with the other two’s fighting but what I saw wasn’t what I expected. She had a small smile on her face, it looked like she was actually enjoying seeing them argue with each other.

She has always been a weird one, even back before she lost her memories. I chuckled at the thought.

“Something wrong, Sasuke?” Hina’s face popped into my line of vision, her big, round platinum eyes looked up at me, filled with curiosity and worry mixed together. Too close, she was too close. I felt my cheeks heating up slightly. “Y-yeah, I’m fine”, I stuttered as I moved my face away from hers. What was that feeling? It was something I’ve never felt before. It was strange. I shook off the feeling as the northern hideout came into view. “We’re here”.

We stopped a short distance away from the hideout, “Sasuke just what kind of person is Juugo? I heard rumors about him, is he really a good choice.” Worry could be heard through the shy girl’s voice.

“Goes to show how you don’t know anything”, Karin scoffed at her. I felt annoyance prickle at the way she spoke to Hina. Karin continued to explain, “According to all the rumors I’ve heard, Juugo has bizarre impulses that turn him into a homicidal maniac. To Orochimaru, Juugo’s power was something fascinating . He developed an enzyme from Juugo’s bodily fluids that allowed other shinobi to achieve the same state. I’m sure you know what I’m talking about”.

I grabbed Hina’s hand as it started to subconsciously rise to her neck. She looked at me with a knowing look on her face. We know exactly what Karin is talking about.

“I’m talking about the curse mark. It originated with Juugo”.

Suigetsu fell to the ground complaining once again about how he was tired and needed a rest. Karin proceeded to scold him about him being lazy. We were right in front of the hideout but there was something off about it. I looked up at the guard post but there was no guard.

“Where is the guard who’s supposed to be on watch?”

Hina walked up to my side and activated her byakugan. She was scanning the place. The corners of her mouth pulled down into a frown, “there’s no one around here. It’s eerily quiet. Wait, there are a few figures inside”.

The figures must be the prisoners. Suddenly there we heard movement, I was a man stumbling towards us. The man fell to floor, Karin was able to catch him, “He’s from the northern hideout!”

“What happened?” I asked him.

“You’re him aren’t you? Sasuke Uchiha. It started with the rumors then the prisoners went crazy and rioted”. The guard coughed out before her chocked on his last breath. That feeling of mine was right.

Suddenly there was a huge crash behind us, we turned to see a person… no not a person. He was no longer a person, he was now only the tragic result of Orochimaru’s failed experiment. He was now only a monster that couldn’t control himself. It crashed onto the ground creating a small crater around itself. Yes, it’s definitely a monster; red skin, orange hair sticking up from every end, horns and claws coming out of his body.

“What is that?” I heard Suigetsu ask.

“That’s the curse mark second state, he’s already transformed”. Karin answered, holding the guard that died in her arms. I slid my sword out of it’s sheath as moved towards it. Within a second I had sliced him, not giving him a chance to make a move. He slowly fell to the ground, his grotesque features clearing away and leaving as he once was, a human.