Chapter 20

-Sasuke-

I couldn’t believe it. What was she thinking? How could she be so stupid to think that coming out here was a good idea? She was safe wherever she was, knowing that was good enough for me to fight Pain without holding back. Even with her jutsu, she’s no match for him. Naruto and I couldn’t do anything against him, we’ve barely put a scratch on his body.

Hina gazed at me with her kind eyes, they were filled with worry and relief. It almost seemed like that mix of emotion was directed at me. After everything, she still looks at me with those eyes of hers and worries for me. Something must really be wrong with me to think that I could ever hold a place in her heart after everything I put her through.

She smiled a small smile then her silver eyes darkened, the veins around her eyes became more prominent as they transformed into a glare and turned back to Pain.

“I won’t let you hurt Sasuke and Naruto anymore!”

“Hinata, you should have stayed away from here!” Naruto shouted.

Desperation made my voice crack, “He’s right. You need to run Hina!” She needs to get away from here or she’ll get hurt. I can’t stand the idea.

“No, I’m here because I want to be,” she said softly, her voice was so serene yet so firm. “This time it will be me to save you Sasuke. You were always there for me. Since the very beginning, it was you who protected me. I made a promise to myself to get strong so that I could protect you with everything I have. Yet time after time, it was you who saved me. So, I am not afraid to die here, if it means I can protect you”.

She went into her fighting stance, the one she perfected while training with me. Her form was one as if she were about to start a dance, poised and graceful, something so peaceful to look at. With a war cry, she took off in Pain’s direction.  I watched helplessly as she threw punch after punch, her hands glowing that soft silver; trying to land a blow on Pain who dodged each attack effortlessly. She seemed so weak and fragile back then, but gazing upon her now, there was no trace of that girl I had met at the river. No, now she stood with her back straight and her form relaxed, her determination rolling off her in waves.

None of her movements were wasted, each twitch of her muscles had a reason. She moved gracefully, keeping step with Pain, like following a familiar dance. Liquid leaked from my eyes. Why? Why would she put her life at risk for me? Pain pushed her away with his Almighty Push. Her head banged on the floor as her body skipped across it like a stone skipping on water.

Stop…

A small river of blood dripped from the spot where she hit her head. She immediately got up as if she did not just roll twenty feet away and got her head busted up. The Pattern of the curse mark extended around her body, marking her skin with a beautiful intricate pattern of swirls. She charged at Pain, or that’s what she made it seem like, she stopped at our feet and hit the rods, destroying them, that had our feet pinned. Pain paused, not expecting her to target the rods. He slid a black rod out of his sleeve and attacked Hina, leading her away from us. Hina jumped away from Pain, landing in front of us, she crouched low and swung her leg, making two of the rods on my body crumble. Hina’s body moved on its own towards Pain, as she reached him, he gave her a bone-crunching kick. I closed my eyes out of instinct as if that would somehow shield me from the agonizing cry that escaped from her.

Please stop…

“Hinata please get away from here!” Naruto’s outcry mirrored the devastating pain I felt deep inside myself. I couldn’t understand why she’s doing this; can’t she see that it’s pointless. She didn’t listen, she won’t listen. No matter how many times we tell her, nothing will change her mind. It’s the first time I’ve seen that kind of look on her face. She’s serious about wanting to protect us.