Chapter 9

-Hina-

The wind was blowing softly, hitting my face in cool and gentle waves, relaxing me. We had stopped in a forest to rest while on our way to our next location. I looked up at the sky, a couple of leaves floating by my face. I felt at peace right now with no worries about what’s going to happen next.

The peace, however was cut short when Suigetsu and Karin started to bicker once again. I looked down from the tree branch I was sitting with my back against the trunk. A small chuckle escaped my lips when I heard them. Although at times it was annoying to hear them constantly argue with each other, I had to admit that I didn’t mind it so much, their bickering made it feel normal as if we were just friends travelling together; like we weren’t on our way to complete a goal that would most likely get us all killed.

The thought reminded me of what we were actually doing and why we were here together in the first place. I pulled my knees up to my chest, burying my face into them. I was feeling uneasy about it but I promised Sasuke I would follow him anywhere. It didn’t matter what I had to do, if it meant that It would accomplish his goal then I’ll do it. I was still confused on his reasoning for it though, he didn’t delve into any details.

“What’s wrong?” a deep monotone voice pulled me out of my thoughts. That voice could only belong to one person, I looked up to see the raven haired boy looking down at me with his onyx eyes. Sasuke sat down in front of me, his legs hanging off the branch. I wasn’t sure what to tell him, I couldn’t tell him what I was thinking. So I did the only thing that came into my head. I smiled at him innocently, “Nothing, I’m fine”.

“Don’t lie to me Hina”, his harsh voice startled me.

I looked away from him, biting my lips. Maybe I should ask him. The question has been gnawing at my mind for a while now.

“Sasuke, what exactly is your plan? Why would you want to destroy your own clan? Your own brethren? Wouldn't it be painful?" I asked him with my head buried in my knees. I didn’t want to look at his reaction. However, I picked up my head when he didn’t answer for a long time. The raven haired boy was staring off into the distance.

“The Uchiha clan is a proud one. Since I was a kid, I was taught that I should be proud of the Uchiha crest and the power in our eyes. My father would always say that the Uchiha clan was the most powerful in the village. I truly believed him. We were an elite clan, one that stood at the top. We were supposed to stand above others yet we were catering to beings of lesser clans. The Uchiha Clan has become weak and passive throughout the years, I left the village in order to gain true power and return the Uchiha Clan to its former glory. If i had stayed in the village i would still be playing ninja, following in the shadows of the ones who are always ahead of me. I would have never known of my true power had i stayed there. In order to rebuild the pride of the clan, I must first get rid of the current weak Uchiha”.

To create a new and stronger clan. That was his goal, to be able to be proud of his name and the symbol he wore on his back. I wanted to know what drove him to that conclusion, what gave him the idea that he needed to get rid of his own clan. Wouldn’t it be painful to kill your own blood relatives. There is a lot that Sasuke hasn’t told me. Actually now that I think about it, I don’t really know Sasuke at all. I frowned at the thought.

“Now that you know this will you stop following me Hina?” His voice was its usual monotonous tone but I could have sworn I hear the tiniest bit of sadness.

“No.” I moved from my spot to sit next to him and wrapped my arms around him, burying my face into his chest. “It doesn’t matter what your goal is, I plan to follow you no matter how dangerous the path may be. That is my purpose”.
We stayed like that for a bit, not uttering out a single word only enjoying the silence between the two of us.