Chapter 19

What just happened?

     Hina couldn’t make sense of it. She and Neji were helping get the civilians to safety when out of nowhere, there was a bright flash of light and an enormous wall of air pushing everyone away. Next thing she knows Hina Is being pushed out of the body of Lady Katsuyu into a sea of brown and gray dust.

     Hina’s eyes were burning as if a fire was lit inside of them. Her lungs felt heavy and clouded. Her body hurt even though Katsuyu absorbed most of the blow, her body wasn’t moving like she was commanding it too as if it short-circuited. Hina tried to get up, placing her hands on her knees just to be pulled back down.

     Come on, get up. Move your body.

     After multiple tries, she finally managed to sit upon her knees, but the action made her stomach do flips. She steadied her breathing, taking short and leveled breaths before activating her Byakugan. She needed to see for herself what happened, where is everybody?

     A horrified gasp escaped Hina’s lips. What is this? Where’s the village? All she is able to see through the clouds of dust is a giant crater where the village once was.

     Everything was pushed to the sides, large and small pieces of stands and buildings were strewn all around where the crater was. Hina continued her scan of the destruction, there was a movement from under the debris and from behind boulders, there were still people who were alive.

     That’s a relief.

     The muscles in between her shoulder blades loosened as the fact sunk into her mind. Many of the other villagers had already been evacuated to the underground bunkers at the edge of the village. From what she can see, those bunkers were far away enough to avoid destruction.

     “Miss Hinata!” Ko ran towards her. His brows were furrowed together with alarm. He stopped in front of Hina and bent down to help stabilize her as her body leaned far too much to one side.

     His lips pulled down, taking a moment before speaking, “The village has been destroyed”.

     Hina gave a curt nod, “Yes, I’ve seen. How can someone do something so horrible? I don’t get it.”

     She couldn’t believe how cruel someone could be to hurt innocent lives. Sasuke’s home has been destroyed. A single tear rolled down her cheek as she looked at the village in heartbreak. Once again, she couldn’t protect something important to her. She was saved by Lady Tsunade and Lady Katsuyu.

     How many times will she continue to be saved by someone?

     She couldn’t protect Sasuke back then and she can’t even protect his home now.

     Sasuke!

     With everything happening in the village, she skipped over the fact that Sasuke had also come to the village. There was so much going on at the time, the young girl was her top priority, she ran away from Sasuke. The girl was part of the reason but it was also that she was so shocked to see him here, she wasn’t sure how to react. Hina wasn’t sure if he came to destroy the village or take her back. Whichever it was, she wasn’t sure what she would be able to say or how to act in front of him. At that moment, it seemed like running away was the only option.

     But still, it didn't slip by her the way her heart skipped a beat when she saw him. The butterflies in her stomach did flips when that smile arose. It scared Hina that she felt that way just by seeing him there in front of her, alive. Wouldn't one normally be frightened of the person that hurt them? So why wasn't she, it was actually contrary to that notion. Hina was delighted that Sasuke looked at her with such unhappy and remorseful eyes as if he actually cared for her.