002

• • •

• • •

It's like a knife right in the back, like a bullet to the head
Why can't I understand? The blood is on my hands
Now I'm standing on the edge with nowhere to go
This is how it feels, this is how it feels
How it feels to be lost

Sleeping with Sirens,
How it feels to be Lost

• • •

I N  the months after the final battle against Thanos and his army, it seemed like everything had been at a standstill. The loss of their family and friends took a toll on the remaining Avenger's, and none of them knew what to do. Without the leaders of Stark, Rogers, and Romanoff, nobody attempted to do anything.

The Avenger's facility had just finished being rebuilt; as Pepper Stark made sure that Tony's family had a place to live. An enormous amount of funds went into the Avenger's to ensure that it would be okay; one of Stark's only wishes.

Nick Fury has taken residency in the facility, taking the role of the leader until someone stepped in. Until someone did, he was left in charge.

The new facility was still as advanced as the other, but it was more empty now. It was also where Peter Parker was, hidden from the world after his identity had been revealed. His aunt stayed with him.

Bucky Barnes was among those residents. He had attempted to leave once, because he knew Tony Stark hated him and would not want to house him, but it was Sam Wilson that got him to stay. Without Rogers or Romanoff, they were down to just the two of them.

They had to stick together; that was what the new Captain said.

So Bucky stayed at the facility, though spent the last few quiet months in complete boredom. For once there was nothing for them to do. Bucky spent the months learning about the new world around him and who he used to be. He no longer felt connected to the Winter Solider and the past he once had.

He had died. That wiped the slate; at least that was what he told himself when the days were long and the nights were hard. He tried to look out into the world with a new point of view, but it was hard.

He missed his friend and his missed his old, old life. He remembered the days in Brooklyn with Steve more and more everyday, and that hurt the most. He lost the very best friend he ever had. He didn't understand why.

Bucky spent a lot of time either with Sam or by himself. The former soldier struggled to find an identity without Steve Rogers, and was failing to do so.