070

• • •

• • •

"I fell maybe a million times
I've walked into a thousand fires
But I know it's gonna be alright"

Mike Perry,
Changes

• • •

O L I V E R  sat playing with the fire in his hand, wide eyed at his new found power and enjoying it too much to stop. The burning colors twirled around his face and a smile fell over it.

Jace looked across the car for a moment to make sure he was okay, before looking back towards the empty street. The sun was beating down and Oliver's new fascination with fire didn't help the temperature in the old car with dusted AC.

The flight from Sweden to New York had been shorter than he expected, and the sun was only just beginning to set when he pulled into the lot of the school he once attended.

Jace's heart beat was heavy with guilt and he felt nauseous over everything that had happened. If he knew what would transpire there, the torture she would endure and that it was all on his shoulders, he never would have brought them in.

Maybe by getting Oliver out, he would be able to redeem himself to her in a small way. He hardly knew Charlie Grant, but he was the cause of her suffering, and he was a good man. It killed him.

"Where are we?" Oliver asked as he looked out the front window. "I thought you were taking me to see my sister."

Jace sighed softly and parked the car and then turned it off. "I've got someone else you need to see first." Jace said. On the dashboard was all the information he had on Charlie; from where she was being held, from what had been done to her, and plans for her in the future. He was able to get all of it.

Oliver squinted at the school and let out a sigh. "Is my sister here?"

"No," Jace frowned. He knew she wouldn't survive to the end of this week; not with that they had planned. He needed to get to Charles. "Come along, Oliver."

The younger boy let out another sigh and unstrapped, climbing from the car. The thought of Jace being dangerous never occurred to him; because he had spent the last week and a half learning of his new powers and having fun. He thought Jace was a friend.

"I don't understand why Charlie isn't here? Did she get powers to? She's too old for toys." Oliver frowned and closed the door. It didn't make sense to him.

Jace didn't want to reveal to the young boy that his sisters life was in danger, or that she had essentially traded his life for hers. Instead he set his hand on Oliver's shoulder and guided him down the pathway and towards the front door of the school.

"Is this a school? What does it mean by gifted?" Oliver asked when he looked at the sign on the front. He looked up at Jace with a questioning gaze.