004

• • •

• • •

"I'm doing fine by myself
I never asked for your help"

Sleeping with Sirens,
Agree to Disagree

• • •

T H E weekend had passed by quicker than either of the Grant siblings wanted, and soon the dreaded Monday morning had arrived. It was hard enough to pry herself out of bed, but the attempt at waking the little boy was harder than ever.

Charlie didn't understand Oliver's sudden lack of interest in school, but she didn't have any idea what to do about it.

By the time Charlie got to work, the early Monday morning rush was just beginning to pick up. She longed for the weekend yet again, and it pained her to know she would have to suffer through five days before it would come around again.

But she kept herself busy; baking the pastries and counting the newest truck order.

It was just past noon, during their slowest hour when the bell announced a newcomer.

Charlie didn't look up from the pastries she was icing, not until she recognized the voice calling her name.

Standing in front of the counter was Noah Ferguson. His eyes were set on Charlie and Charlie alone. His hands fidgeted nervously as he played with the button on his plaid shirt. Black rimmed glasses sat on the bridge of his nose.

Charlie sighed and looked at Addie. "I'll be right back. Can you finish this?"

"Yeah, sure." Her friend replied, looking between Noah and Charlie. "Is that him?"

She nodded and walked around the counter, signaling for Noah to follow her. She led him to the furthest table away, set in the corner of the store.

Charlie's arms crossed as she looked up at him. "I told you you can't come here."

"I'm sorry, I've just been thinking about you," Noah admitted nervously. His hand scratched the back of his neck.

Charlie wasn't sure what to say. "I don't know what I'm supposed to say to that."

"I just don't understand why."

"Noah, seriously, I work here. You can't just come in like this."

"You haven't given me any other choice."

Charlie shook her head then and narrowed her eyes. "Yes, I have. I don't know how else to explain to you that we are over. I'm sorry, I really am. I don't want to hurt you but you need to accept the fact that we are not together anymore."

Noah shook his head in denial. "I know you still love me, Charlie. We were just together."

"No, we weren't." Guilt filled Charlie's heart but she still continued to speak. "I'm sorry. I know it's not fair to you. But it's been five years. I'm not the same person I used to be. I mean, you didn't even come to my parent's funeral."

"That's not the point."

Charlie shook her head. "You need to leave. Stop coming around here, I'm serious. If you show up again I'm calling the cops."

• • •

The sound of a fist hitting the punching bag echoed around the empty room. It was struck again and again as it was used to release pent-up frustration and aggression.

Sam Wilson stood in the doorway, watching as Bucky Barnes took his anger out on the poor bag. It stood no chance against Bucky's metal arm.

The new Captain felt for Bucky; he saw the pain inside of him. He had only been back for a few months and everything was still confusing to him. He hadn't yet adjusted to this new world; sheep herding in Wakanda didn't exactly count.

But Wilson knew his new friend would have trouble with it, and he wanted to help him. He just wasn't sure how to.

He knew that Bucky was still struggling with the loss of Steve Rogers. They both understood that he deserved to live a life of happiness, but neither of them could understand it.

And they missed their friend.

"Are you going to stand there and watch me all day?" Bucky Barnes asked without looking at Sam.

He smiled anyway. "I figured I'd come save that punching bag. I think you might blow through our budget on these damn things alone."

A half smile appeared on the former soldier's face and he stilled his movements. "I'm sure that's exactly what Stark would have wanted."

"You didn't go jogging this morning. You always do."

"I felt like sleeping in today." Bucky shrugged his shoulders as he started to remove the white tape on his knuckles.

Sam knew he was lying but he didn't press further. "Well, Fury wants to meet with us. Apparently, the Avengers aren't done yet."

"Good thing I'm not one of you guys," Bucky replied.

"Oh, you are," Sam smirked. "He asked for you specifically."

Bucky thought back on when he had almost killed the man; twice. "For what?"

"I don't know, I guess it's time for you to earn your keep."

updated 8.17