038

• • •

• • •

"Don't tell me this is all for nothing
I can only tell you one thing
On the nights you feel outnumbered
Baby, I'll be out there somewhere"

Dermot Kennedy,
Outnumbered

• • •

" O L I V E R is going to freak out when he sees this." Charlie said with a slight chuck as she climbed out of her car. The dark night was colder than usual.

Bucky had driven behind her on his bike, and was immediately by her side once he parked it. His metal arm wrapped around her waist to help her up the stairs.

"You know, I can walk. The doctor said I could." Charlie said.

"The doctor said to stay off of it."

"Potato, potato." She waved her hand.

Bucky didn't say anything and instead lifted her up in his arms. Her eyes widened at the sudden change and quickly grabbed onto his shoulder to keep steady.

"Jesus." She grunted. "I could have walked."

"The doctor said you needed to rest."

When they got inside, he brought her up to her room and set her on the bed. After seeing that she was comfortable, he left the room to inspect the rest of the house.

First he made sure that the front door was locked, and then the back door, and then all of the windows and the garage door. He didn't stop until he checked over everything twice.

And then he went into the kitchen to grab a few different snacks and water for her, before returning to the bedroom.

The TV on her dresser was already on, the Netflix logo loading. Charlie sat in the middle of her bed. She had changed her shirt into a looser one, her pajamas.

"Here. You said you were hungry." He told her. "Where's Oliver?"

"At Addie's. Would you mind going to get him?"

"I was going to." He told her, only slightly hesitant. The very idea of leaving her alone, after what had happened to her, displeased him. He felt guilty over what had happened.

"Are you going to uh, to stay? After?"

He shook his head. "I'm not going anywhere."