067

• • •

• • •

"And I can't stand the pain, and I can't make it go away. No, I can't stand the pain"

Simple Plan,
Untitled

• • •

H E R lungs filled with oxygen as the machine opened and she began to cough furiously. After suffocating for the past few hours, or however long it had been, the air inside her lungs burned and being forced to sit reopened wounds on her barely healed back.

Noah stood just beside the machine, concern and a mix of frustration stretched over his face. He was hoping for a mutation, like her cousin, but there was no change in her. He was running out of options.

"Hi baby," Noah said in a soft tone. "How do you feel?"

Charlie's hands were shaking in anger and in pain, as she focused on taking in deep breathes. She felt like in any moment, the air would be taken from her again. She never once thought air could be taken from her.

"We're going to take some blood." Noah told her, looking at the nurse who would do the process of it. "Hopefully there will be some change."

The pinch in Charlie's arm couldn't be felt as she stared ahead.

"Where is..." Her voice was rough. It was hoarse and ugly. She didn't recognize it. "Where is Jace?"

Noah frowned slightly. "Why would you care where he was?" Then his eyes narrowed. "Do you love him?"

"No." She croaked. "He said he would let me see Oliver. I want to see my brother."

Noah didn't believe her. His hand made rough contact with her shoulder and he slammed her back down against the harsh bed.

Her back went up in flames and she cried out in pain, already feeling blood begun to soak through her new shirt.

"Stop fighting it." Noah whispered angrily to her. Then to the nurse, "Put her in again. Another few hours. Lower the oxygen count."

The machine closed around her, silencing the screams that escaped her mouth at the idea of going through this torture one more time.

When there was no more air, and she could just barely breathe, her screams quieted and it was only pleads of death that escaped her mouth.

• • •

Later that day, Charlie Grant was introduced to a new form of torture. After being chained to a wall and hosed down, stripped of her clothes, and with the pressure set so high it left her thighs and arms aching with deep bruises already forming, she was brought to level ten.

Under harsh lighting and thin air, the guard taunted and prodded as she was forced into a small container, fit just enough for her body. Water and ice filled the tub; soaking her naked body and filling until just her face was above the water.