073

• • •

• • •

"Just keep on holding on
Stay awake, stay awake, stay awake with me"

Dean Lewis,
Stay Awake

• • •

C H A R L I E  was all that Bucky cared about as they sat inside the Blackbird. Her body was lying on the seats, and bandages were covering her back. Ororo had done as much as she could to stop the bleeding and for now it was working.

Bucky was kneeling on the floor next to her, his eyes peeled on how beautiful and how perfect she looked. He couldn't believe that she was here, finally in front of him. He didn't want to blink because he was afraid she would disappear from him once again.

His hands were on her arms, fingers softly tracing her pale skin and running over the old burn marks that still adorned her skin. Her shirt had been cut off to apply the bandages, and a blanket was covering her half naked body.

"I missed you so much." Bucky whispered to her, trying his hardest not to cry. All the Solider wanted to do was to curl up in her arms and cry and let all the emotion he tried so hard to conceal out.

Charlie's eyes were heavy but alert, as she worried any moment she would wake from this dream. And while she believed it was only a dream, she wanted it to last forever. She wanted to cherish the way his eyes were only on her, how warm his skin was, how much she missed him.

Charlie tried to respond but she was tired; her body weak. She only set her eyes on Bucky's to try and communicate without having to open her mouth.

Bucky let out another sigh of relief, the thousandth for the past two hours, and set his hand on the top of her head. His thumb ran along her pale forehead and he couldn't help but fixate on how white she was.

"What did they do to you, baby?" He said quietly.

"Don't." Charlie found words to speak. "Don't call me baby. Never again." Her voice was so quiet, so full of pain, that it caused Bucky's heart to ache.

Confusion set over his features as he watched her look back up at the ceiling and close her eyes. A deep sigh fell from her lips and it seemed as if she had fallen asleep, or unconscious, or something. But her breathes were deep and steady.

"He called her baby." Steve said from across the plane. Natasha was sitting closely next to him; exhaustion on her face. "Noah."

"What else did he do to her?" Bucky asked through an angry voice.

"I don't know. But he called her baby and she told me he was more or less affectionate towards her."

Bucky's metal hand curled into a fist as he thought about Noah Ferguson touching Charlie, in any way. He could almost imagine Noah touching her and kissing her; and it made him sick with anger. And not because he was jealous or because he believed Charlie to belong to him, no, but because Noah didn't have a right to touch Charlie without consent, without Charlie allowing it. Because Noah was a disgusting monster.