Chapter 2 ❧ Maintain Normalcy

Love Eater and Miracle Queen were a mess. I feel so bad that the ships all crumbled down like that. Almost everyone's identities are exposed now so there's no rule to "I can't give you a miraculous anymore since everybody knows who you are."

Yes, I'd like an order of more Viperion and Ryuko please.

Lucky by Jason Mraz

•●•●•●•●

8 years later.

I lean my head on the window, watching the rain. It's strange how it's raining while the sun is still shining down as if it's a bright, clear day. I thought Aurore would get the weather right if she was once the villainous Stormy Weather.

The school bus fills up with more students, making even more noise despite the morning. I glance at Rose and Juleka up front. They're talking in their own little world. I sink back into my seat and sigh. Putting on an airpod, I turn up the volume to counter the noise.

Do you hear me,
I'm talking to you
Across the water across the deep blue ocean.

"Hey, is this seat taken?" A bright voice asks. I turn and see Marinette smiling and waving at me.

"Nope, have a seat," I reply and she slides in before the school bus begins to move.

Awkward silence ensues. When I think of Marinette, I remember a clumsy and rather shy girl who always stumbles on her words. It's startling that she'd ask to sit with me.

I keep you with me in my heart
You make it easier when life gets hard.

"Sooo, I didn't know you take the school bus. Is Adrien here too?" Marinette asks, tying but failing to mask her eagerness.

"Usually I go to school with Adrien but he's sick today. Sorry to disappoint you but it's just me," I say.

"Oh no no no! I didn't mean to offend you. I was just curious that's all!" Marinette shakes her head furiously. I chuckle lightheartedly. I should have expected it. She's a lovesick puppy when Adrien's around- messing up and acting like a klutz. But in reality, she's quite sweet. I rarely see her like this since I'm usually around Adrien.

"But it's not fair that you have to ride the school bus just because Adrien isn't coming to school," Marinette says.

"Oh no, I chose to ride the school bus for a change of pace. Besides, I wanted try this once. It's much less suffocating than the limo," I assure her. Nathalie offered to drive me to school but I gently turned her down.

"Is that so? Well I'm kinda jealous. I'd love to ride a limo." She laughs weakly.

I scan the people in the school bus. "Hey, where's Alya. Aren't you usually with her?"

"Oh uhmm..." Marinette mumbles, wringing her hands. "She's with Nino right now."

I blink back in surprise. "You're a third-wheeler like me." I said it with great wonderment, startling her.

"What? Third-wheeler? That's one way to put it I guess..." She bursts out laughing. "Yeah, you're right."

•●•●•●•●•

Time flies and the next thing I knew was that we had to unload the school bus. Marinette waved farewell before returning back to her best friend. I was about to climb up the stairs when I instinctively turned to my right.

Just in time, I spot Alix speeding towards the school, but doesn't she see the old man with a cane she's going to crash into?