Chapter 3 ❧ Baking Buddies

I can't wait for Chat Blanc episode! Are you guys excited?

•●•●•●•●•

I make furtive glances to my surroundings. All right. I think the coast is clear. I tip toe down the stairwell, eyes set at the doors.

"And where do you think you're going, Selene?" Nathalie's voice makes me jump in surprise.

"Nathalie! I didn't see you there! I'm just going to, you know, go out?" I shift under her reproachful expression. I sweat nervously and let out nervous laughter.

"I don't recall any arrangements for you to go out today," she says.

"I know. I just want to buy some ice cream since I haven't had one in a while," I say.

"But didn't you say you visited the ice cream parlor yesterday?" She says. My eyes flit over the blonde-haired boy sneaking away just behind Nathalie's surveillance. He throws me a grateful smile and slips out the door hanging ajar. Oh, he owes me big time.

I feign nervousness by pretending to choke in surprise. "Did I say 'long while' I meant I'm having a craving-"

"Selene," another voice calls, but deeper and more serious. My face falls as I turn to Gabriel Agreste.

"Yes, Mr Agreste?" I say more monotonously.

"I have a new target for you." He climbs down the stairs- feet making ominous echoes on the marble floor.

"Actually, Mr Agreste," I interrupt before he could continue. "I promised Marinette that I would help her bake macarons for a huge order she has."

"Is that so?" He says.

"Why didn't you say so before?" Nathalie asks doubtfully.

I let my head hang low. "I'm really sorry. It was a sudden request and I agreed to help her without considering the consequences. She need all the help she could get," I lie seamlessly. It's true that Marinette has been in a state of panic just recently. I heard her parents took a day off and Marinette offered to hold down the bakery by herself. It's unfortunate she received a difficult order and couldn't find enough helping hands.

"I guess it's an urgent matter for your friends," Gabriel says, grimacing as he comes to a decision. "All right, but you must come to my aid for the next akumatization."

"Yes, I got it. Thank you so much!" I say gleefully. I give him a bow- I sign of respect I learnt as a child and have never really forgotten about. "See you, guys!" I turn heels and made a run for it. To my relief, they didn't hold me back as I exited the gate.

Adrien is right. They are more lenient when it comes to me. Maybe it was because I'm not a daughter of the Agrestes. Mr Agreste may not have high expectations for me as he does for Adrien. I'm not quite sure whether I should feel proud or upset about the notion.

I didn't actually plan to go to Tom & Sabine Boulangerie Patisserie but my feet took me there anyway. Marinette was so surprised that she almost dropped a whole tray of hot macarons. "Selene?!"

"I'm sorry for the unannounced visit but I'm here to help," I say, smiling.

She gasps, hey eyes sparkling like stars. She's takes a step forward and stops. She hastily sets the tray down and drops her mittens on the counter before rushing over to me, tackling me with a grateful hug.

"Thank you thank you! You're a life-saver!" She exclaims in sheer jubilation.

I almost trip over my words in surprise. "Don't thank me yet! I haven't even done anything. Just so you know, I've never eaten- much less baked- macaroons before."