Chapter 4 ❧ Picture Perfect

I'm excited for Chat Blanc!

•●•●•●•●•

I vividly remember the day of Emily's funeral. It was a dark and gloomy day just like the Midnight incident. We all wore black and countless, faceless people all came to give their condolences. I had yet to completely understand the French language, so I could hardly discern what they said.

Mr Agrests hardly spoke a word. Nathalie had to manage everything, holding an expressionless mask. Adrien had broken into huge sobs of grief. Chloe was acting kind for once in her life and tried to comfort him, asking him to stop crying. But it was me who said it's all right to cry since I understood that you need to let it all out after losing someone you love. Thereafter, I did my best to tell him I'm always there when he needs me.

A month after that, Mr Agreste asked for me. Nathalie brought me to a hidden elevator that brought us to an underground floor I didn't know existed.

"There's a way to bring someone to life, " Mr Agreste said. I knew instantly that he meant to bring Emily back to life. The notion would have seemed terrifying. The dead should stay dead- some may say. But I couldn't bear to say Adrien remain so desolated every single day. He claimed to be coping, just so I wouldn't be worried of him. I wish to see him smile genuinely like he used to.

Not only that, I missed her too. I know she couldn't be my actual mom but she was gentle and affectionate. All I have of her were fond memories. If I could prevent someone from feeling the pain I felt when I lost my parents, I though it would be a win-win situation.

I knew I can't bring my parents back to life. But if we could bring back Emily, it wouldn't be so bad.

I was fine with working with Hawkmoth, planning the demise of the city's heroes and even acting like a fake in front of my peers. This is all for Emily. She didn't deserve to leave this Earth so early.

•●•●•●•●•

"今天," Adrien stumbles on his words. "今天是星期四。 (Today is Thursday.)"

"今天是拍全体照的日子。 (Today we take a group photo.)" I exclaim. "Class picture day!"

"All right. There's no need to rub it in, but I'm glad you're excited. You're in a good mood today," Adrien says.

"今天是我死的那一天。(Today is the day I die.)" I say, grinning.

"What's that? I can't understand that."

"It's nothing," I reply, cheekily. We part ways when enter the school. He walks to Nino's side and I rush towards Roe and Juleka.

"Wow, Selene. That's a new hairstyle," Rose says, examining me and my hair tied up for once. "You look cute! You should tie your hair more often!" I flash her a grateful smile but it falls the moment she looks away. It was disappointing that Adrien didn't even mention the change. I tug on my collar nervously. The new ribbon tied around my neck feels suffocating.

"I'm going to be in a photo with Adrien!" Marinette gushes, unaware of my presence.I shake my head. I don't have the time o be irritated right now. This morning, Gabriel alerted me of someone emitting a negative energy and it's up to me inflame it.

"Whatever happens, don't forget to breathe," Alya warns.

"Atleast you know you're going to be in the photo,"Juleka mumbles.

"No Juleka, I'm telling you. You're not jinxed," Rose says. I reach out to put a hand on her arm but think better of it. Of all the potential targets, today it's Juleka- one of my best friends of all people. I know that she claims to be jinxed which prevents anyone to take a photo of her. I understand how dreadful she feels about today, but it's not my job her now.